Suggestion: build plate mesh matching my tape

peanudt

Posted · Suggestion: build plate mesh matching my tape

Hi,

I was thinking about a feature in Cura where I can see the 'gaps'/lines which correspond with the tape on my print bed. Then it is possible to position my objects precisely and avoid a line/mark on the print. Or at least it is possible to align this mark with te geometry of the object.

The UM1 bed has a nice square print area predefined, so that can be the reference starting line. Apply your tape with a certain width and it should be easy to calculate and 'project' these lines on the bed in Cura. Is that correct?

Variables:

- starting point: left, right

- orientation: horizontal, vertical

- width: width of the tape

Minimal viable product:

-projection from one fixed starting point, one orientation and a variable, user defined width.

What do you think? Have you encountered my problem before? Is this solution useful for you?

Hi,

If i remember well the grid from Cura is actually a png image, i think you can replace it with your own pattern. I'm not on a computer with Cura installed at the moment so i can't check, but i remember a topic talking about that several months ago

Thanks for the replies:

Jameshs: good suggestion, but I want to have a solution for an original UM with the regular components. For the UM2, UM1+ and the Original with the heated bed upgrade this would be less of an issue.

Didier: this sounds very promising. Could not find the topic, but if you come across the relevant post please let me know.

Ok i found it:

Edit the image in your Cura installation directory (go to ressources/images) and change checkerboard.png

You can change it to whatever size you need (i think) i did a quick try, double the size, changed the colour and pattern (basically it's a square with a dark line in the middle.

Here's the result:

CuraBed

Will be hard to match exactly the pattern on the actual bed i think but here's the info :)

Yes, there was a similar tpic regarding the plate design but I can´t find the post.

I redesigned the current pattern to have a smaller grid, the only thing to keep in mind is the ratio of the .png

Here is the pattern I made - maybe usefull...

checkerboard

Thanks for the replies:

Jameshs: good suggestion, but I want to have a solution for an original UM with the regular components. For the UM2, UM1+ and the Original with the heated bed upgrade this would be less of an issue.

Didier: this sounds very promising. Could not find the topic, but if you come across the relevant post please let me know.

Understood - I have two UMOs and print all my PLA and some XT on cold glass - I have a taped up platform under for when XT won't play ball (sometimes warming the glass with a hair dryer stops warping) and a small piece that changes the end-stop to allow for the glass - so no changes to the machine and the parts pop off.

It can even be used for ninjaflex! (yes slooooow printing).

I tried lexan and a few other plastics but glass is so good.

Just glass and PVA glue on a UM1 - I have bought the UMO+ upgrade but not yet put it on.

James

The way iu handle this is disable homing on X and Y in the header code.

I move my nozzle over where i want the print to start and hit print. It will start wherever you moved it to.

Works great. Just keep your eyes on the model size, you want to make sure it will have enough room ro move allover from the starting point. Generally i would wait for the skirt outline to see for sure :)