US Source for M3 studding - long bolts

jonhollander

Posted · US Source for M3 studding - long bolts

One of the long M3 studding bolts in my kit came with a stripped thread. This is one of the four long thumb screws that are used to clamp the top and bottom plates of the extruder box together.

Does anyone know of a US source for a replacement part? Would a simple M3 threaded rod with nuts on both ends work as a replacement? I'd hate to have to wait a week to have a single bolt shipped from the EU.

Threaded rod will work. Would be a bit harder to install, but it will work. Initial Rev1 machines had threaded rods.

However getting M3 threaded rod can be difficult in the US, I guess... It's just smaller than 1/8th of an inch, so that won't fit. If you cant get metric get the largest size smaller than 1/8th.

If all else fails, just run with the three of those screws. You will need the three that are closest to the extruder. Hmm. The fan might dangle a bit.. Hold it up with the screw you have hold the other side in place with the one that's broken. Or just anything that's straight and fits.

One of the long M3 studding bolts in my kit came with a stripped thread. This is one of the four long thumb screws that are used to clamp the top and bottom plates of the extruder box together.

Does anyone know of a US source for a replacement part? Would a simple M3 threaded rod with nuts on both ends work as a replacement? I'd hate to have to wait a week to have a single bolt shipped from the EU.

McMaster sells M3 threaded rods, 1 meter for very little money: http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-threaded-rods/=i36adp

and amazon has the same: http://www.amazon.com/AMI-METRICS-INC-Threaded-Rod-Metric/dp/B000NE4P3Q

I have a V1 UM that uses threaded rods for the head, and a 10mm M3 stand-off with a counter nut as "head". you could as well just print your own handle/knob for it. (A M3 pap&die are always handy to have around, or get a metric set, since M6 and M7 come in handy for the hot end)

I think you can use a normal bolt that just about fits in a few occasions. I finished assemblying mine today and there are many places where the proper bolt head does not matter.

I contacted support and they shipped me a new bolt via DHL. It arrived yesterday. Great support!