Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
smoke2000

Messy infill causing print faillures

Hi,

I've yet to finish a bigger print succesfully , I only manage to print small stuff and they end up quite rough sometimes too because I think they don't have enough time to cool since they're so small.

So here is an attempt at a bigger print. The bottom layers are fine but when it starts printing the infil pattern it seems the printhead suddenly gets too close and plastic starts dropping down in the infil holes and after a while the head keeps hitting the print and makes the printbed tremble and move, so I have to abort the print.

I thought it was just a problem of leveling, but why would the first layers print so clean if that was the case and i've also levelled multiple times already.

Added pictures of the bottom layer and the messy infil.

20141128 134754

20141128 134742

Looks like those are the first layers of a top layer in the model? Since the lines of the layer initially needs to span over the gaps in the infill it can look a bit messy before it's able to fully close the gaps. Fans on full blast, more layers for the top, thicker layers and possibly printing slower will likely help. But like Stu said, it'll be easier to help with more information, including a picture of the model if possible.

Oh yes ,

Ultimaker 2

PLA

print speed : 60

infil : 20

travel speed : 150

fans : 100%

layer thickness : 0.08

temperature : 210 I believe

using advanced settings

this is from what I remember (no longer at work right now , can't check for sure)

I didn't change any options that weren't all that clear what they were for.

it could be that it was just trying to fill some holes to be able to make the first closed layer again , but it was quite harshly pushing down the printbed because it was hitting what it already printed that I didn't feel it was safe to let it continue anymore.

and here's a zbrush screenshot (the model is part of a huge stone wall statue, so don't mind the dark theme hehe)

ZBrush Document

first thoughts ,

print speed is too fast for the temperature, I almost always print at 50, with a temp of about 218-220, also your resolution is high, I get very excellent results at layer thickness of 0.10

strongly suggest you follow the links at the bottom of IRobertI's post they are really informative

bon chance

Yeah, it's starting the top surface there. What's happening is that the printer is trying to bridge over the infill, the strings are breaking and then slightly curling up. On the next pass the head passes over this rough structure and makes nasty noises. I would try slowing down to give the strings a better chance to stay intact. You could activate the "TweakAtZ" plugin and only do this for the big top layer if you want to keep the speed for the rest of the print.

(Or you could just let it be noisy for a bit :p )

For this particular print however I would consider printing it standing up instead. This will give you more resolution for the skull.

Yeah, it's starting the top surface there. What's happening is that the printer is trying to bridge over the infill, the strings are breaking and then slightly curling up. On the next pass the head passes over this rough structure and makes nasty noises. I would try slowing down to give the strings a better chance to stay intact. You could activate the "TweakAtZ" plugin and only do this for the big top layer if you want to keep the speed for the rest of the print.

(Or you could just let it be noisy for a bit :p )

For this particular print however I would consider printing it standing up instead. This will give you more resolution for the skull.

Yes, you definitely might be right about printing standing up, I might have to add some support so it doesnt fall down.

I wanted to avoid overhangs by printing flat, but the layer view didn't look all too promising in terms of detail. I will try to print it slower and check out your guides in detail. The reason I try to print it a bit faster is that the printer is at work and because it's still new and all, i'm not very comfortable leaving it on by itself when work closes, so I try to avoid long print times.

Ok, so I managed to print it , changed speed back to 50 and temperature a bit hotter from 210 to 218, made the infil 30% instead of 20 and tried printing it standing up with a bit of added support at the bottom.

it turned out pretty well , except for some vertical lines that weren't on the model, although some of the lines even seem to follow the flow of the model.

20141202 162508