Infill problems & layer separating - SOLVED

superflyguy1973

Posted · Infill problems & layer separating - SOLVED

Having spent a day or tow trying to get my abs to stick to the bed,

I have gone with details from guys who print lots of stuff, so 230c bed 110c print speed 100 .25 Layer height, and using very thin abs juice on kapton, holds great, I worked out very quickly

To never use the fan when printing abs, as it distorts very quickly, my first small print had was a knob at 0.1 layer height speed 50 the infill was great measures about .5 thick

But I tried to print a Handel for the ultimaker at the suggested 25% fill and 100mm/s speed

But the infill is extremely thin they measure .26 thick and the whole layer failed at around layer 50 ish, any help please.

If layers are separating after printing (weak layers) we call that "bad layer bonding" or "bad layer adhesion". That is always best fixed by raising the temperature a bit. Try 235C or 240C. I usually print ABS at 235C but if you aren't getting good layer adhesion at 230C you might need 240C.

Your second problem, thin infill, is due to underextrusion. 100mm/sec at .25mm layers and .4mm width traces is (100*.25*.4) 10mm^3/sec. That's about the limit of what the UMO can do. At that speed you will get some underextrusion. Now raising to 240C will make the ABS flow more like honey (instead of toothpaste). So that will help a bit. But just print it slower. Try 60mm/sec instead.

You definitely have underextrusion in "infill problem 1" photo. It is especially obvious on the shell (outer edges) where they aren't touching very well. That's just from printing too fast or too cold.

Layer bonding issues can't be shown in a photo - the part looks perfect but falls apart on horizontal layers. I assume you don't have that issue. With ABS I usually print with either no fan or just barely enough fan to get it moving.

Anyway your primary problem is simply printing too much volume. Lower to .2mm layers and 60mm/sec and you should see huge improvement.

Problem Fixed 1

Problem Fixed 3

UPDATE : Problem has been fixed, The main cause was, I didn't understand that at 100mm/s which is an average speed.

if you choose to make your layer height just 0.2mm then the machine would be printing at the absolute max it can cope with. so I use the new settings of

Layer height 0.1 Speed 100mm/s = 4mm3/m or

Layer height 0.2 Speed 50mm/s = 4mm3/m

Both take around 6.5hr to print the handle, There was a little piece of dirt in the Bowden tube,

it's now printing great,