Cura fills hollow objects

sardi

Posted · Cura fills hollow objects

Im using CURA 14.03.

The word you see was made hollow, only the walls (outer shells) of the letters are present, and 0,5mm thick. The bottom board should be, and is 100% filled, but the letters arent supposed to be filled at all.

Is there any way to set that only the board at the bottom is 100% filled, but the letters remain hollow? Cause if I set it to 0% fill the board is empty then.

At 100% fill cura fills everything:

hollow.jpg

It should be like this:

hollow2.jpg

Or maybe I am just overseeing something? Or its not possible?

Regards,

Antonio

There's 2 possibilities:

1) Your model is bad.

2) You have some of the "fix horrible" checkboxes checked.

So first check that you don't have any of the "fix horrible" checkboxes checked. I think "type A" is checked by default. It's in the expert settings.

If this doesn't help you can play with the other checkboxes in fix horrible. To see the mistakes in your model do "xray view" instead of layer view or normal view. Anything in red is an area that has an extra wall or a missing wall (a hole).

Consider using cad software (like design spark mechanical, orscad, solidworks or hundreds of others) that *only* allows you to create manifold 3d parts (unlike sketchup where it starts out with a 2D person which is nothing like reality or real parts).

Nothing horrible is checked.

I will re-check my model. The word was made in Inkscape and imported to Blender as SVG, and the board itself was made directly in blender. So maybe somewhere along the way I messed something up or simply didnt do.

Your model has no volume. That's why this is happening.

Cura looks from the side of the model, and then looks trough the model, for every polygon it passes, it "fills" until it passes another polygon.

"Manifold mesh" is another keyword you would want to look at.

Thanks it was the "Fix Horrible" being checked.

Try to fix the stl using the free netfabb service https://service.netfabb.com/

If the error persists might be something else