cura basic settings

umer-tanveer

Posted · cura basic settings

shell thickness : 0.8 mm ( thickness of the outside shell in the horizontal direction.

this is used in combination with the nozzle size to define the number of perimeter lines and the thickness of those perimeter lines.

can you guide me if the nozzle size is 0.4 then what should be the shell thickness which match the nozzle size and gives us a better print .....

so can you guide me how can i get the cura training manual ???????

It's important in the sense that using a number like that causes cura to over extrude on the perimeters. To create the 1mm wall it will extrude two walls of 0.5mm each which it accomplishes by over extruding a bit and letting the flat of the nozzle squish the line out. If you're already printing around the limit of your printers capacity this could push it over the edge so to speak.

So it shouldn't be a problem, but it could be, so it's better to just make it a non factor.

It's important in the sense that using a number like that causes cura to over extrude on the perimeters. To create the 1mm wall it will extrude two walls of 0.5mm each which it accomplishes by over extruding a bit and letting the flat of the nozzle squish the line out. If you're already printing around the limit of your printers capacity this could push it over the edge so to speak.

So it shouldn't be a problem, but it could be, so it's better to just make it a non factor.

Cheers.. Its good to know.. I remember reading at the start that the setting should by multiplesf the nozzl ize and completely forgot/overlooked this.. I will maoe changes to ky default config.. Cheets.

Well.. Changing my wall thickness has taken me a step back.

I generally print 1mm for everything and my prints have been fine.. When I use a "brim" it snaps right off.

But based on this discussion I did a test with 1.2mm and the results surprised me.. The brim was impossible to remove.. But the bigger shock was that my dimensions changed.

I was printing some M8 (8mm) Bolt Caps.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:394364

. And with 1mm wall I had the opening size spot on so that it fitted the head.... But when I changed to 1.2mm, the opening was MUCH smaller.. I measured the 'wall' of the CAP, and it was 0.5mm thicker than when I print at 1mm.. So then I tried at 0.8mm and had the same results.. 1.2mm and 0.8mm give me a MUCH thicker wall than 1.0mm.

And this is the bit I don't understand.. I thought the EXTERNAL dimensions of a model are defined in the STL file.. So in this case, even though there is a 'wall' its got an inside and outside. And I would have assumed that changing the wall thickness in CURA would not have affected the finished model.

I can't really work out or understand what I am seeing to be honest.. And have taken a step back...

Does what I said make sense? Can it be explained?

Jon

External dimension are defined in the STL file. So what you are seeing has to be some other effect...