14.12.1 UM2 heated bed broken

mikey

Posted · 14.12.1 UM2 heated bed broken

Since the latest firmware update my heated bed plate will not change temperature using Ultigcode. I haven't been near the printer to test the maintenance menu or downgrade, but I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing the problem?

So I started getting a temp sensor error mid prints and they would just stop, so I downgraded to 14.09 and at first the bed platform would still not heat up and when I went to heat up the nozzle then the bed worked. So maybe this is a combination of hardware and software problems? What ever it is it seems to have some connection to the firmware version

There was a problem with 14.12, it was fixed in version 14.12.1

Only if you got a "Heater error".

In the "bed temp error" nothing has changed between 14.07 and 14.12.1, so if you're getting that error it's a hardware issue. Most likely a lose connection somewhere.

Daid, got the "Heater error" after flashing to the 14.12.1 (comming from a 14.09).

Check if your heater and PT100 are properly inserted in the hotend. If you get a heater error in 14.12.1 then you're heating up less then 10C in 20 seconds with the heater on full power. So if you are getting that error with 14.12.1 there is something drawing a lot of heat from your hotend, or there is a problem with the heater or the measurements.

Ok, I look and I test....

Hi daid , the same bug for me with 14.12 and 14.12.1

Only if you got a "Heater error".

In the "bed temp error" nothing has changed between 14.07 and 14.12.1, so if you're getting that error it's a hardware issue. Most likely a lose connection somewhere.

I was already on 14.12.1 because I was experiencing the heater error. I just double checked and the sensor and the heater cartage are both fully seated, but the heater cartridge cable looks a little rough and frayed right where the wire stops so that is probably the cause. As for the heated bed the connector looks fine and I can't imagine the cable is loose from the board as the machine hasn't moved in over a year of use. I'm thinking the cable it self might have broken from all the motion

Hi daid , the same bug for me with 14.12 and 14.12.1

That does not tell me much, or actually anything. As there are 2 different problems described in this topic.

to give you more information, here is my UM2 setup :

Heater Fan replace by a Sunon (because of the noise).

Fan support replace by https://www.youmagine.com/designs/ultimaker-2-fan-mount-dual--2

What's happening:

printing with PLA at 210°

Heated bed at 60°

First layer : no problem

After the fans started, the temperature drops from 210° to 198° and the error appears.

I checked the heater and I noticed it was a bit out (x on the picture)

heater

I disassembled the head, the heater been cleaned and put back in place.

I redid a test with the same file but same problem : after the two fans start, the temperature fall and error appears.

For my last print (6 hours), my workaround is to manage the fans speed gradually and no problems at start.

Very interesting information: Didier Klein suggested to use the original fan support.

I change and I print the same object with same parameters.

For the second layer, the fans rise to 60% and the temperature has not moved ! With modified support it has decreased more than 10° and Boum !

With modified support it has decreased more than 10° and Boum !

If you use this alternative fan mount, the overall fan speed should drastically reduced - as suggested in the comments on YM.

But this is not related to the version of the firmware.

If i remember correctly, some defaults for the PID have changed recently? I wonder, if there could be unwanted (side-) effects because of this in some configurations...?

darkdvd, I use https://www.youmagine.com/designs/fan-base-um2 fan support with the new firmware and I have NO problems (both on short or on very long prints), so ... your problem should come from somewhere else.

Did you read the Daid info starting from http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/8634-curas-1412-firmware-is-screwing-my-um2/&do=findComment&comment=82720 ?

Guglielmo

gpb01, I think the problem is the fan support : with the original fan support, I manually change the fan power from 60% to 100% for the third layer my last print and no problem : 204/205° the temperature not moving.

I'am curious to have Daid opinion about this.

Do you see my fan support ? I think that with mine (... which is an evolution of what you're using) ventilation is higher and, I repeat, I have no problems, so ... maybe the problem is in the heater/heaterblock ... do you read about the 21W and 27W heater ?

I don't know but ... if you have the 21W and not a perfect thermal contact (... have you tried putting some thermal grease, like http://www.ebay.it/itm/111238367541 one between the heater and the heaterblock ?) ... maybe the strong ventilation can become a problem ... :huh:

Guglielmo

Do you see my fan support ? I think that with mine (... which is an evolution of what you're using) ventilation is higher and, I repeat, I have no problems, so ...

I have tried both alternative fan supports.

Using the Ultimaker 2 fan mount - DUAL (like darkdvd does) i had to reduce the max. fan speed to 40% or else the nozzle temperature was falling down by more than 10 degrees, when the fans came up...

I am also using the Fan Base UM2 at the moment (like gpp01) and i switched back the max. fan speed to its normal settings (100%) without any problem.

IMHO the direction of the ventilation fits better with the derivative variant - nevertheless i still dont't like the huge logo... ;-)

BTW: i printed it with Formfutura FlexiFil - although i could not find any informations about the glass transition temperature - it seems very temperature resitant so far (much better than the colorfabb XT i used before).

I am also using the Fan Base UM2 at the moment (like gpp01) and i switched back the max. fan speed to its normal settings (100%) without any problem.

IMHO the direction of the ventilation fits better with the derivative variant - nevertheless i still dont't like the huge logo... :wink:

Yes, if the logo was smaller and in a corner ... it would be much better ;)

BTW: i printed it with Formfutura FlexiFil - although i could not find any informations about the glass transition temperature - it seems very temperature resitant so far (much better than the colorfabb XT i used before).

Mmmm ... I made in PLA and I put the aluminum shield (... made from a can of beer :) ) in the space provided ... it's now 1 month that I print without any problem and any fan base deformation, more ... prints are very good ! :D

Guglielmo