Cura prints same object again - why?

aggertroll

Posted · Cura prints same object again - why?

There must be a simple answer: When I print an object A in Cura 14.12.1 for Mac via usb, clear the platform and load a new stl file for object B, Cura still prints object A. My fix so far is to quit Cura and re- open, but that can't be it. Can anyone help?

Thanks, and have a happy new year!

Thomas

I've never had this problem. The only thing is if you are in "layer view" when you clear platform and load a new model you have to go back to "normal view" before layer view works properly again.

Yes, I know what you mean and I am glad to learn there is a way to avoid that issue. I noticed sometimes the new object will not show up, but switching layers always makes it appear.

But my problem is the new object shows up, I even rotate it and check it in layer view, change patameters, and I say print and it prints the object I printed before. Even if it is not the same file (which I often revise in sketchup, save as stl and print again) but a totally different file.

Simply put: I print A, clear platform, load B, I see B on the platform - it prints A. Stange. I am expecting that I am making some very simple mistake - but what?

The slicer is probably crashing. After you load model B, change a parameter (such as layer height to 1mm which means many fewer slices and much less memory used) and see if you see the progress bar indicate slicing progress. Then change it back. If the progress bar doesn't go all the way across then the slicing engine is probably crashed or hung. The most common error is not enough memory - again with 1mm slices maybe it will finish. Typically 1 million polygons is around the limit I believe.

Also is the object gray in normal view? Gray objects won't slice because they are outside of the print volume or other similar problem.

If you view the new object in slice view does it show the new object and does it show it the way you expected? Always check slice view before saving and printing the gcode.

I love sketchup but I don't use it much anymore because it is too easy to make non-solid models in sketchup. View your model in "xray" view also. If you see any red that means you have extra internal walls or holes in your walls such that certain parts are not solid and if that's true then cura might ignore parts of your model (maybe the new stuff you just added). You can fix in sketchup after identifying the red areas or you can alternatively try the 11 possible "fix horrible" checkboxes.

Please post a few screen shots from Cura if you still have a problem - in particular the normal view, the xray view, and the slice view of the area that should have changed in your model.

Thank you, gr5 and PeggyB, for your feedback. I think I solved the problem.

When I say 'print', a print window pops up. I did not close that window after the print was thru. And no matter whether the job completed or I cancelled with the button in this window, UM would print the same file again.

gr5: Cura loads the model ok, lets me view, shift, tune settings, with times changing accordingly. But when I say print from the still open print window, the previous job is printed.

PeggyB: I didn't test the clear all since the open print window seems to be the cause.

Thanks all!

And never print anything before checking it in layer view first! This will save you hundreds of times from a failed print!

I do. And it sure does. :)

Did you leave the print window open? And did you press print again on the main window or only in the print window?

Daid, I always left the print window open, and I launched the "new" print from that print window. The print process would start normally, but it would print the last print I did.

Daid, I always left the print window open, and I launched the "new" print from that print window. The print process would start normally, but it would print the last print I did.

Yes, because that print window still has the "old" print in it. You need to refresh it, or else it will print with whatever it was opened.

Thanks, problem solved.