Wrong assembly?

ultifay

Posted · Wrong assembly?

I can't seem to figure out what I've done wrong, but this can't be right either! The pink dots are the limits of X-Y.

The only way I can think of to fix this is to put the print head on the left in stead of the right, but that's not according to the instructions. Anything else I could have done wrong?

Img3307.thumb.jpg.450fc5bda83d3c673ed334c7c4062f01.jpg

The other thing I noticed is that the extruder fan cover is hitting the bed holder (just a mm too much), but I can't move the endstop further to the front...

Img3356.thumb.jpg.856ff3edeb6792ae6508548a35d5c57d.jpg

Posted · Wrong assembly?

You've done nothing wrong. The printer bed is large enough to have an hotend both in the left and right holes. Like this:

http://daid.eu/~daid/IMG_20120426 ... .small.jpg

And indeed, the default fan shroud hits the bed holder. I'm surprised that you are the first person to post about it (I forgot about it) As long as you don't use 210 but only 205mm of the bed you'll do fine. Different fan shroud will also solve it (there are a few of those on thingiverse)

Posted · Wrong assembly?
    You've done nothing wrong. The printer bed is large enough to have an hotend both in the left and right holes. Like this:

http://daid.eu/~daid/IMG_20120426 ... .small.jpg

And indeed, the default fan shroud hits the bed holder. I'm surprised that you are the first person to post about it (I forgot about it) As long as you don't use 210 but only 205mm of the bed you'll do fine. Different fan shroud will also solve it (there are a few of those on thingiverse)

AH that makes sense, so it's actually shifted with a dual head upgrade in mind :D

About the fan shroud: I think it wouldn't be a bad idea for Ultimaker to put a standard set of DIY (or PIY, print it yourself) deluxe part files on the website, include it in the assembly instructions (which could use a thorough update by the way, wiring and several parts not matching current shipping machine...). I understand why they chose to make their components as simple as possible, but I'm sure they will acknowledge some parts will just function so much better when they're a bit more complex (especially when that prevents collision!)

Thanks for your help daid!

Posted · Wrong assembly?
    I'm surprised that you are the first person to post about it (I forgot about it)

I am not. First thing I did print, were belt tensioners. Than I figured out, that fan duct is lame, and printed one from thingdiverse. I am not pro and it was my first idea. So I think all pro reprap users did the same.

Posted · Wrong assembly?

don't knock the default fan too much. my tests of different fan designs show it to be one of the best designs weird tho it may seem. OK the material and construction is a bit shoddy, but the one under the machine is just as bad (and noone seems to complain about or redesign that one!!??)

Posted · Wrong assembly?
    About the fan shroud: I think it wouldn't be a bad idea for Ultimaker to put a standard set of DIY (or PIY, print it yourself) deluxe part files on the website, include it in the assembly instructions (which could use a thorough update by the way, wiring and several parts not matching current shipping machine...).

There is an "ultimaker upgrades" menu in "replicator-g". It comes with the program! No need to download separately!

Posted · Wrong assembly?
    don't knock the default fan too much. my tests of different fan designs show it to be one of the best designs weird tho it may seem. OK the material and construction is a bit shoddy, but the one under the machine is just as bad (and noone seems to complain about or redesign that one!!??)

Interesting! How do you compare the fans?

Agree about the fan under the machine (very much a band-aid solution), but once that's in place, it doesn't bother anything or improve performance.

Posted · Wrong assembly?

I'm using the stock fan, because it's the only design that fits once you install dual extrusion. But then it sits furter away and does not always provide enough cooling with tall thin objects.

Posted · Wrong assembly?

I agree with alaris on this. I have tried atleast 3 different fan duct designs from thingiverse.. but none have really worked for me beyond 2-3 weeks, so I am back with the stock fan shroud.

Posted · Wrong assembly?

i've been trying to run some 'scientific' tests of fan designs on thingiverse.

the way I'm testing them is with a a hollow cylinder, 1" diameter approx. build at 100mm/s and keep everything the same but the layer time initially and change the fan shroud to the design to be tested each time.

with the layer time at default (10s) most fan designs seem to do a perfectly good job on the cylinder. but now change the layer time down until the print quality visibly suffers.

the numbers you get will probably vary from machine to machine, but the relative numbers should be very similar. i typically do the experiment twice on different days just to be sure ambient conditions didn't influence it much.

most designs have a handedness about them - ie. they cool well from one direction but if the head moves in the other direction they have less effect. a rotated L shape shows this quite well.

this is quite off topic - I need to start a new thread on this at some point when I've finished with the tests.