UM2 horizontal right limit of print head

kuno

Posted · UM2 horizontal right limit of print head

Hi all,

I printed (finally without problems) a part that is 220 mm x 40 mm. Cura put it in the middle of the print bed (left to right orientation of the 220 mm). I use 5 lines of brim to get the PLA stick nicely to the plate (no glue at all). In cura everything looked perfect and printable.

Now the print started, left hand side of the UM2 everything fine, but right hand side the print head was forced into the side wall, making the belts/motors skip about 2 mm (I assume the belts were forced to skip one tooth).

Is there any way I can set the right hand limit, so the printhead is not colliding with the side wall and leaves some space e.g. 1 mm?

in the same print, on the left hand side there was plenty of room for the print head.

I then put the part 45° and printing was no issue.

kuno

Hi

I had the same problem and no one responded to my question but I was able to fix it by bending the arm on the homing limit switch so it homes a little more to the left. then when it prints it doesn't hit the side.

In case you can't get it fixed (don't own a um2 but getting to the max x or y is also difficult) rotate the part 45 degrees and you will have room enough to print it I would guess.

Is there any way I can set the right hand limit, so the printhead is not colliding with the side wall and leaves some space e.g. 1 mm?

in the same print, on the left hand side there was plenty of room for the print head.

You can try to "fine tune" the size of the printhead in the Cura machine settings. Cura should take this into account for the positioning if the objects (i think).

I will search for this setting and see how it works.

So i will seet the print head size to 20 mm x 20 mm and watch how it will shrink inside the UM2 :cool:

So far I have not been playing around with these settings, but seems it is the time to start doing it.

kuno

I adjusted the left home position 'tongue' of the home switch and now the head moves all the way to the left leaving around 1 mm to the side plate. at the right hand side the same now and no collisison anymore.

looks like the holes to mount the switch are 0.5 mm to 1 mm too far to the left, so the tongue needs some bending. without bend, the switch is not activated and the motor dirves the head like crazy until the error message apears on the display.

kuno

P.S. head size adjustments I might do this weekend

P.P.S. until now I turned the objects 45° like mentioned above (works for some objects only)

Yeah I found my limit switch tongue was bent from the factory. but it looked like it was done that way on purpose, so i just bent it back a bit.

Daid has just released a RC8 version of CURA that has changes to the build volume with some corrections relating to the clips. you could try this also or wait to the official release which should come out soon.

Mine was definitely also bent intentionally during production, but too far to the 'safe-side'. As there is no menu within the maintenance to drive the head to the rightmost position, the 'fine-tuning' is not so straight forward. might make sense to include some sort of 'fake' design in cura, where the print head can be moved to the position limits. Appat from loading the part again and letting the printer move the head to the far right, I do not see any way how I could check if the 'tongue-tuning' avoids now the collisison at the right wall.

I did not really like to move the head manually to the right to make the adjustment after I could not find any menu allowing me to move the head to the right.

I will wait for the official release.