Bamboofill & Laybrick underextrusion issues

frederics

Posted · Bamboofill & Laybrick underextrusion issues

Hello all!! I have experimented a wide variety of materials in the past on my UM2 and after some troubleshooting I have always been able to print them correctly.

Unfortunately this time I admit the defeat against Bamboofill and Laybrick.

Both of them start very well but at some point of the print( maybe even after several hours of print) I start having a severe under-extrusion that ends up in a clogged nozzle.

I tried everything:

-Clean the nozzle

-Clean the feeder

-Adjust the tension of the feeder

-Clean the bowden tube

-Try different temperatures

-Make the print fast with thicker layers to reduce the time of the filament in the hot end.

- Dry the filament

etc.etc.etc. I could stay one day listing all of them.

But I have always been unable to end a print decently. What I really don't understand is why it happens suddenly and maybe after several hours of perfect printing.

I was wondering if any of you could share his experience with those materials and maybe share the settings that made those filaments to print properly.

Many thanks in advance!!!

Federico

I had the same problem with woodfill in the past and for me the only solution was to print faster and thicker.

I could not print slower than 50mm/s and not less than 0.2mm. I did a small section at 0.1mm but printed it at 90mm/s. The temp must have been around 220C but I cant remember specifically.

I haven't tested Bamboo fill but its always worth trying.

I've tested WoodFill fine I have a roll of bambooFill but i haven't tried it yet.

The trick is to make sure that the filament doesn't burn in the nozzle so use a good speed as pm_dude said. Big layers are good to, you can go up to 0.25mm or 0.27mm even (it won't show on the print).

I found that disabling retraction helped also.

But it's hard to print and if it burns it will clog the nozzle

Thanks for the reply!! I actually tried all the above already, i printed up to 0.27mm at speed of 60/70 mm/s reducing the layer time to zero but no luck. I even thought that the filament could have absorbed moisture and bought a new one but still had the same issues.

Its kind of strange as I often print with woodfill and never have issues.

I'll keep on doing attempts and keep you updated.

Thanks anyways!!

Same here with Colorfabb bamboofill. Tried everything. It seems like it burns in the nozzle. Cleaned it twice, wasted meters of filament just to push the dirt out of the nozzle.

Bamboofill sucks.

Indeed

Just wrote a complaint to Mr. and Mrs. Colorfabb. The bamboo not only sucks, it also ruined my nozzle completely.

I am not amused.

When I cleaned mine after my bamboo experience, I used the wire of a metal brush to go in from outside while pushing some clean pla through the bowden. It took a good 5 mins to clean it and after that I did a few atomics and all went back to normal. I also tried with a 0.8mm nozzle (no retractions, highspeed etc) and the block was equally nasty. Probably (at least on my umo+) the peek need a good fan cooling it to make that filament work. I did print woodfill fine and coconut formfutura without any problem, but bamboo it's weird.

I just finished cleaning. Removed the filament hoze (or whatever fancy name it has), heated up the BBQ and pushed good filamen through with force by hand from the top of the extruder. It took some time for all the dirt to come out.

For me woodfill went fine and even copper went great with a bit more speed.

Hope Colorfabb will come with settings that work.

Posted (edited) · Bamboofill & Laybrick underextrusion issues

I now understand why you cannot choose bamboo filament in the partypack of Colorfabb, while you can choose woodfill. It thought it was strange, but now it makes sense. Wood printed just fine.

Edited by Guest

Posted (edited) · Bamboofill & Laybrick underextrusion issues

The Bamboo adventure has two results now.

The first one is that my filament feeder (don't know the proper name for it) that pushes the filament up on the back of the machine, does not work properly anymore. Probably has remains of the bamboo on the wheel or something.

Second is the reply from Colorfabb:

Thanks for contacting us with your issues, I wish you contacted us sooner. Yes the special filaments are more tricky to work with, but not impossible with some adjustments to your print settings and maybe strategy.

Which machine did you use? What settings did you try?

As mentioned in the Ultimaker forum thread, one of the tricks is to start out with layerheights of 0.2mm (max 0.27 for 0.4mm nozzle). Combined with a speed of 40/50 mm/s it'll ensure a decent flow of material and an acceptable residence time for the filament inside the hot-end. When printing at lower layerheights the speed needs to increase quite a lot, else the residence time is too long and the polymer and fiber can degrade.

If you're looking to do a lot of printing with either woodFill of bambooFill, because you need it for a smal series production, then it's a good idea to install an nozzle with slightly bigger nozzle orifice. 0.5 to 0.8mm would be good. This also increases the flow, and therefore decreases the residence time of the filament inside the hot-end.

A bit disappointing it is. They better add this info to their webpage about the bamboo. The settings mentioned did really not work. So now i have to order different nozzles for the bamboo.

I will order these wider nozzles and will reply my results here. Not giving in that easy.

Edited by Guest