Ultimaker VS Dimension 1200 es

benoit

Posted · Ultimaker VS Dimension 1200 es

Just a comparison shot between my Ultimaker (FINE) and my Dimension 1200 es... Granted the Dimension has a lot of advantages, but in terms of surface quality and for 10x cheaper the Ultimaker fares pretty well.

FYI: This is my first print with the Ultimaker, since then my quality has improved significantly.

Just a comparison shot between my Ultimaker (FINE) and my Dimension 1200 es... Granted the Dimension has a lot of advantages, but in terms of surface quality and for 10x cheaper the Ultimaker fares pretty well.

FYI: This is my first print with the Ultimaker, since then my quality has improved significantly.

there are a couple of things you could try to improve the print quality:

try ABS, PLA seems with some users a bit iffy (especially me), try another slicer: Cura is great, but slic3r and kisslicer manage a better surface quality with the same print speed... no idea why.

the quality improvement with kisslicer is enormous compared with Cura unfortunately.

do you have the model available? it would be interesting to see others print and compare the same model.

also do you know that's the best a dimension 1200 can do? or was that just 'coarse' mode?

do you have any good profiles saved for kisssclicer, using PLA and an ultimaker.

I tried kisssclicer two days ago and just got... pudding :(

Thanks.

Ian :)

Someone posted this somewhere - sorry to not credit the right person - It's a PDF of the KS settings for an Ultimaker.

(Can't attach PDFs to the post - doh):

http://tinyurl.com/7n4k9r7

I'm not sure I agree with the massive improvement with KISSlicer.

This thread made me try it and I've got some very nice edges with it, but I prefer Cura's fill options, and Cura also seemed to give me better top/bottom, although I might have been trying KS whilst I had a nasty plug.

k'slicer does circle infill by default i think. I'm not sure if you can change it or not, but it's definitely better than the grid infill of Cura which was shaking my UM to pieces and sounds like a sewing machine, but I do like the line infill and it may be missing that.

top/bottom is about the same for all slicers i've tried. which is a shame, because it's the one bit that everyone complains about :(

those settings are about what I'm using, I made a couple of minor tweaks. I don't think i can post .ini files here can I?

suppose I could c&p the contents if you get stuck tho Ian, let me know.

k'slicer is not as friendly as Cura. new users should always start with Cura. but when you're man enough to move on to awesome print quality and speed, it's time to switch to k'slicer.

That's kind of funny, I always thought Kisslicer circular infill was making my machine shake like crazy, I almost considered clamping it to the table.

Not to knock on KISSlicer. I use it and Cura about the same amount now. Its like having a ninja and a pirate. :twisted:

did you switch on 'round infill' on the first dialog tab?

if not, it will probably shake - I haven't tried it off I admit.

Yes I tried that. Still shakes a lot. I have a screw setup for adjusting the Z stage, it shook so much that screw fell out.

I'm actually really grumpy at KISSlicer today. I had it set for destringing and did a simple plate. But KISSlicer kept on doing retract over and over and over (like even doing it to move a few mm over, over the same part, just going over infill). It failed on a 6 hour print halfway through. When I pulled the filament out it was all chewed to hell and back. Doing 8-12 retractions over the same object, without going over open holes, is too much!

When I get back home later I'll sic Cura on it. I get the feeling it'll print just fine, even with retraction set to similar values as KISSlicer.

I don't think it has a minimum travel distance setting like Cura for this, so it may go mad with retractions in very tight spaces. I did have one of these today, but it doesn't seem to be causing failures for me, perhaps because I have Bertho's extruder mod installed.

as with all software, there's no such thing as perfect :)

I don't think it has a minimum travel distance setting like Cura for this, so it may go mad with retractions in very tight spaces. I did have one of these today, but it doesn't seem to be causing failures for me, perhaps because I have Bertho's extruder mod installed.

as with all software, there's no such thing as perfect :)

That's it exactly, the minimum travel distance makes all the difference. But like you said, there's no such thing as perfect. I don't confine myself to one type of screwdriver, so I don't mind using multiple slicers and software.

Going back on topic, I've shown several people the picture in the original post. Everyone who sees it is really amazed at the quality an Ultimaker can pull off for, for a fraction of the price of a Dimension printer.

it's good, but as I said earlier,

do you have the model available? it would be interesting to see others print and compare the same model.

also do you know that's the best a dimension 1200 can do? or was that just 'coarse' mode?

because I see a whole lot of imperfections on the UM print and wonder if we can do better still. that wouldn't be enough to convince my boss to buy an UM I know - surface consistency is more important than thickness of layers.

The 1200's layer height can be set to either .254mm or .33mm.