stop print overnight

clema

Posted · stop print overnight

hi,

I have a bad feeling leaving a running UM alone at the office over night. Mainly because I am afraid of a burning printer. Or is this not possible ?

So is there a good way to shut down the printer in the evening, come back in the morning and continue the print.

nice greetings

clem

Hi clem,

Sadly there is not out-of-the-box way to do that. Usually people do resume prints in wake of a heart attack when they return to the printer and see the mess. It involves some manual editing of .gcode files and guessing the layer number where the printer stopped. But don't expect a perfect print after that.

Ultimaker printers are very stable and safe. If you have build your own printer (Ultimaker Original) you know first hand how this thing works. The UM2 is the same but more refined. But with all things that get very hot there is the potential danger of a fire. Worst case I can imagine is when the temperature sensor fails and the hotend gets out of control and heats to no end. But as far as I know even that is handled in firmware. The printer would simply cut power to the hotend when it detects no signal from the temperature sensor.

You could however add a webcam and fire detector and couple it to an email/message alarm system. There are many solutions out there.

If you want you can pause the print, turn the nozzle off and in the morning put the temp back on and resume the print.

You cannot turn the printer off and if you have heated bed on it must remain on.

I print overnight or while away all the time. When away, I connect to my pc remotely to check the webcam. At night well... You sleep lightly and wake up often at first. Then you dont care anymore because you know your machine :)

I have a bad feeling leaving a running UM alone at the office over night. Mainly because I am afraid of a burning printer. Or is this not possible ?

There is a whole range of protections in place to prevent any burning from happening. We take safety very serious as we know a lot of people run their printers over night or unattended.

There is a whole range of protections in place to prevent any burning from happening.

Additionally, for extra precaution, move flammables (like cans of gasoline, hairspray, paper) at least a foot away from the printer. Wood should be safe near the machine. This step should not be necessary, but it won't hurt.

thanks for the answers. So the best solution is to make my printer corner unflamable.

Keep in mind that *at ultimaker* they overrode all the fail safes and put full power into the nozzle heater and let it sit for a long time. There is quite serious damage and melting to the print head and there is smoke and you might set off a smoke detector but the rest of the printer will not catch fire. I believe there are no flames - just melting. Or if there are flames they are very small and contained.

Keep in mind that *at ultimaker* they overrode all the fail safes and put full power into the nozzle heater and let it sit for a long time. There is quite serious damage and melting to the print head and there is smoke and you might set off a smoke detector but the rest of the printer will not catch fire. I believe there are no flames - just melting. Or if there are flames they are very small and contained.

Also note that this was without material in the machine. As there are lot of variations on printing materials, with not much known about flammability, I would not recommend repeating this experiment in your home.

As the printer head did get 500C during this test. Which could be above the auto-ignition temperature of various printing materials.

Not to mention the horrible smell.

But, on a safety level, I fear the toaster a lot more then our rooms full of printers.

Never considered this before. Now I am paranoid... Hahahahahaha! Still trust my printer!