Blue collar (horseshoe) install

cgp

Posted · Blue collar (horseshoe) install

I am having trouble getting the blue horseshoe to seat completely under the white fitting ring which holds the bowden tube in place. When I originally assembled the machine I decided it must only fit around the fitting ring. This is obviously not the case since the bowden tube kept backing out of the housing. Nobody else seems to have had trouble with this as I cannot find the issue on the forum. Any thoughts would help.

Thanks, CGP

Yes, I followed the picture. Did you use a tool, or was it easy to get the horseshoe under the rim of the fitting ring? Please suggest a tool or a method used.

Just pushing it with your finger should be enough, but it requires quite a bit of force to get it in there.

A little bird told me that for the next design they moved the clip on top, so it's easier to install and more away from the heat.

Thanks for the info. I am convinced that the bevel under the bottom plywood piece was not routed out enough. I have tried every kind of tool and trick I can think of and I have never even come close to getting the necessary 3mm (or so) clearance for the horseshoe to fit under the rim of the fitting ring.

Whoa! 3mm? That clip is at most 1mm thick.. Why do you need 3mm?

Push the bowden in as deep as necessary, now use anything that will work to push the clip upwards.

Now angle the clip such that it touches the wood and the white clip with the two ends, and that you can push in the middle. It should slide under while you push and lower the side you're pushing on.

When you get it on, and have it positioned correctly (measure that 8mm accurately!!!) make a full rotation with the bowden before printing. With a bit of luck, that will prevent it from slipping in the future.

Make sure you don't do this before you've verified that it's sticking out properly.

Hmm - the idea of rotating the bowden, presumably to get the teeth inside the white clip to bite hard, is a new one for me - I might try that next time I have to take everything apart for a plug.

It turns out the lower part of the wooden 8B housing had not been routed out completely. I corrected this by rotating the part 90 degrees and used the other milled hole (the four holes as well as the female inserts are symmetrical). Everything is working pretty well now. I have since solved many other beginners' problems and will post soon.

Sorry about the measurement snafu...it was a (bad) guesstimate! The horseshoe is 1mm thick. Seemed a lot thicker when I was trying in vain to get it under the fitting ring!