Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
Nicolinux

Soften heater temp error detection - UM2

The 15.01 release is a bit softer on it. If it still triggers with the modified fan duct now, you better make adjustments to the duct as you will be causing other issues.

(And not adding a runtime configuration setting to switch off safety features. That would defeat the goal of the feature)

Ok but I don't know if it is possible to adjust the right fan angle so it doesn't hit the nozzle. I think that unavoidable. So we have either prints with a side that has suboptimal cooling or the re-modeled fan duct where we have to re-slice everything and lower the max fan output.

No problem though. I can live with re-slicing but new users will still have a subpar cooling experience with the stock fan shroud. But maybe this hanges at some point.

I'm wondering if it may be a simple job just to modify the relevant section in the source code ?

My C is pretty rusty/non-existant but it looks as if the relevant bits appear in this file, lines 155-175

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Ultimaker2Marlin/blob/master/Marlin/Configuration.h

I now print with fans @ no more than 40% but some models were sliced before I fitted a custom shroud and the fans were set to 100% for many of those - that's caught me out midprint more than once.... I think Daid wrote somewhere that the shrouds which have 'open bottoms' are more prone to triggering this safety feature than those which fully enclose the blocks underside.

I may (just maybe) have a look at tweaking those limits a little... and...... one bricked UM2 coming up! :shock:

You just have to modify line 174 and/or 175:

#define MAX_HEATING_TEMPERATURE_INCREASE 10

#define MAX_HEATING_CHECK_MILLIS (30 * 1000)

The first line is the minimum temperature increase in degrees and the second line is the time in milliseconds.

Compiling the firmware is not that difficult, but you need the right version of the arduino environment installed, some settings done the right way and so on. There should be an instruction somewhere on the forum.

I did compile my own firmware when the first version of the sensor detection code was released and it turned it was a bit sensitive for my heater block.

The sensitivity has been decreased since though, from 20 degrees in 20 seconds to 10 degrees in 30 seconds, which is quite a difference.

So I would probably try with the latest firmware and make sure the sensor is properly fitted before modifying the firmware.

Thanks Anders, it's more that I'd be able to use the custom fan shroud at higher fan speeds than anything else. I only see the safety feature kick in with models I'd previously set the fan speed to 100% (and forgotten to change it to lower)

it's a pain then as the entire print stops rather than a bit of underextrusion happening.

The sensor and block all work great :-)

I may see if I can find another fan shroud which has a closed bottom. I'm now wondering what it may cost to have a metal custom shroud made.... locally to me there are lots of industrial estates.... one in particular has a metal working shop.... hmmm.... I'll go and have a chat with them...

(Apologies Nicolinux for meandering a bit off topic.)