How to remove temperature sensor from UM2 nozzle?

reibuehl

Posted · How to remove temperature sensor from UM2 nozzle?

I need to replace the nozzle on my Ultimaker 2. I have taken apart the extruder up to the point where I need to remove the heating element and the temperature sensor from the nozzle. The heating element was easy to remove but the temperature sensor seems to be stuck. I have already tried heating up the nozzle to 150°C and 200°C but it is still stuck. I don't want to break it, so I am wondering how to remove it the best?

If heating and cooling it doesn't allow you to remove it, it might be stuck. If there is any of the metal portion protruding, you may be able to pull it out with pliers, but if it's just the wires then I wouldn't advise doing that as they're very delicate.

I had the same issue as you and the support team had to send me a new sensor and block as they said that sometimes they just won't come out without breaking it.

No, they sent it to me free of charge. I would start a support ticket right away.

reibuehl

stuck sensor is discussed in detail in the Anders Olsson thread on the new custom heater block he's designed. How to remove the stuck sensor is part of the reason why he re-engineered and had machine shop fab up a batch of 50 currently being distributed. He's solved that stuck sensor problem going forward.

In order to install Anders' custom heater block, one HAS to get that sensor out.

Second advantage, is now easy to swap nozzles in about 15sec. using a printed "torque wrench" tool he released into the wild the last couple days. Slip your socket over the 2 pc printed tool and twist away.

Might want to check there. Key words: custom heater block.

When I switched to Anders block :grin: yay! My heating element came out ok but the the sensor was pretty stuck. I eventually managed to get it out by just gripping the small metal part of it (that was sticking out) and by gently twisting it back and forth with a pair of needle nosed pliers (the delicate type for electronic work) I eventually managed to ease it out.

It came out, intact and working, luckily - as I didn't have a spare. Whatever you do, don't try and pull it out by the wires. If it's completely stuck, you may need to just scrap it altogether and buy another.

Anders block holds the heater and sensor in place in a much kinder and less brutal way than UM's stock block does. Another design feature I really like. :smile: