Hack: Smooth-On XTC-3d coating makes T-Glase transparent!

randyinla

Posted · Hack: Smooth-On XTC-3d coating makes T-Glase transparent!

I have printed a few things in Colorfabb's clear XT and T-Glase, hoping to make things like windows for model cars or buildings. The end results were the same, crappy. Both product manufacturers suggest the thicker the layer, the better, as this refracts the light less than thin layers. However, you still can't see through it as if it were glass.

Just found this new use for Taulman's T-Glase filament. It fills in the voids around the edges of the layers and makes it more optically flat, like glass. Taulman claims it's some chemical bonding that magically happens with their filament, so I don't know if it will work on other "clear" filaments or not.

(I am not affiliated with either company)

The results in this post look amazing.

http://taulman3d.com/t-glase-optics.html

9272204_orig.jpg

This is a most timely post! I just bought acrylic tubing late last night to mate with my 3D print, as a hack, in order to achieve requisite transparency in my prototyping project. Wish I'd have seen this topic sooner. Appreciate seeing it now, Randy in LA

I happened to check Amazon and found this quote in their product description for this liquid application. Several distributors of this product appear in various search engines, so it is widely available it would appear, at least to US based modelers.

There were two, particularly informative, 5-star customer reviews posted on Amazon, as well should one be more curious as the result of your posted alert.

Product Description

XTC-3D® is a protective coating for smoothing and finishing 3D printed parts.

Two liquids are mixed together and brushed onto any 3D print.

Coating self-levels and wets out uniformly without leaving brush strokes. (Note: In multiple sites offering this product for sale, both disposable bristle brushes and foam brushes are shown as suggested applicators.)

Working time is 10 minutes.

Cure time is about 4 hours (depending on mass and temperature).

XTC-3D® cures to a hard, impact resistant coating that can be sanded, primed and painted.

Adding colors and metal effects [to XTC-3D® 2-part mixture in mixing cup] is easy.

Inexpensive to Use - 1 oz covers 100+ square inches. :shock:

90% Time & Labor Savings: XTC-3D® fills in 3D print striations and creates a smooth, high gloss finish. The need to post finish is almost eliminated.

XTC-3D® can be applied to both SLA and SLS prints.

It works with:

PLA,

ABS,

Laywood,

Powder Printed Parts, and

other rigid media.

It also can be used to coat:

EPS,

EPDM and

urethane foam

as well as

wood,

plaster,

fabric,

cardboard and

paper.

XTC-3D® does not contain VOC's, phthalates or phosphates.

For any Canadians, Voxel Factory now carries it and that's where I got mine. I will have some comparison pics up in the next couple of days. From the videos I've seen for XTC on youtube, this looks like a great product.

• 3 weeks later...