Overhang advice please!!

samhenderson27

Posted · Overhang advice please!!

Hi everyone,

I am relatively inexperienced when it comes to printing objects with support structures required, so I thought I would turn to the community for some advice on printing the object.

Basically I would just like to hear how you would go about supporting the overhanging fins on this piece and the little tabs sticking out at the top.

I have never used any 3rd party support software tools so please point me in the right direction if that's what i need to do.

I will be printing in ABS using an UM2.

Thanks in advance.

Capture4

Capture3

Capture2

Capture1

Is it possible for you to split the object into several parts, and then glue/bolt/whatever them together?

I think you will have much better results that way.

I think people have had good experiences with generating support in "MeshMixer".

Cura is also able to do support:

- First in the "Expert" (top) -> "Switch to full settings"

- Enable support in "Basic" tab under Support, where it says "Support type"... Your options are "touching buildplate" (which will only make support in places where it can extend down to the bed), or "Everywhere" (Which will generate support under all overhangs, including on top of parts of the model.

-You tweak the support settings (type, angle threshold, size, amount, distances etc.) under the "Expert" tab (top) -> "Open Expert settings"

Yes I agree with Tommy. I would be inclined to separate the long base plate and the middle piece, of course not knowing what the use is and what stresses might be placed on the assembly if you then glue the pieces together. If separated I think also I would be inclined to orient the middle piece on the print bed so it is printed vertically. That will give you a better surface finish to the external face which is inclining to the left in the first pic. (if that is important). But if you want to print it as is, if you go slow you may get a decent finish without using supports on that face.

I find Meshmixer normally better for supports than Cura as you can manually add or delete supports as required. It will take a bit more effort with Meshmixer as you have to spend a bit of time working out how to use it, whereas with Cura you just tick a box! It is a free download from Autodesk at http://www.123dapp.com/meshmixer