Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
flyingjellyattack

Ultimaker 2 Start-Up Supplies

Hi All,

I tried doing a quick search on this topic but couldn't find anything on these forums.

I'm purchasing an Ultimaker 2 soon and want to get a kit together of spare parts ready for when disaster strikes.

In your experience, which parts tend to go the most? I was planning to purchase 1 build plate, 1 hot end assembly, 1 heater cartridge, and 1 temp sensor from the UM parts site.

This machine would be used at least 3 hours daily so it will see a bit of wear and tear.

You shouldn't need anything for the first month. I would get a spare isolator if it's for sale and follow this thread and get this thing Swordriff is making when he has his polyimide washer for sale (post #250):

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/7689-custom-heater-block-to-fit-e3d-nozzle-on-ultimaker-2/page-13&do=findComment&comment=94696

Also possibly get his heater block and temp sensor - but mainly this polyimide washer should increase the lifetime of the teflon isolator from a few months to a few decades.

Other than that you should get some wood glue and mix with water to coat the glass (easier to use than glue stick to get a very very thin coat). And a paint brush to paint it on. Also get a small putty knife and sharpen the hell out of it until the edge is as thin and sharp as a razor blade. Also get some screwdriver hex drivers when the printer arrives - I forget the sizes but 90% of the screws all have the same metric hex size - probably 2.5mm? or 2mm? And then the fan screws might have a smaller size.

Screwdriver style handles for hex wrenches is what Ultimaker assembly people use and they are 10X faster and easier than those stupid L shaped hex wrenches.

Aren't new UM2 buyers getting a "care package" with a nozzle and 2 PTFE couplers?

Actually:

From Q2 2015 we will ship every Ultimaker 2 with 2 additional nozzles and 2 additional PTFE teflon parts to assist you in a successful, trouble free printing experience.