Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
LePaul

Self leveling/bed calibration?

Just curious is this is on the To Do list for Ultimaker at some point?

With all the sensors available to measure distance (ultrasonic,IR, laser, etc), such a feature might help make printing that much easier for so many (like me!)

Thanks!

I thought the bed leveling was SIMPLE.. Just takes a piece of paper to slide between the nozzle/bed and done.

Seeing that the price of an ultimater2 is "a bit high" I doubt they would want to increase it anymore.

Those sensors aren't "cheap" by any means.

Think with the sensors you dont get auto bed leveling, you get auto software correction for a non-level bed.

My gut feeling says a real level bed is always better, and the leveling on my UM2 is indeed very simpel and very stable, have to do it hardly ever.

One big problem with all those types of sensors is they either don't have the accuracy or the repeatability can be affected by environmental changes.

For example, the speed of sound changes with temperature so an ultrasonic sensor would be affected by a heated bed or a large swing in room temp.

The printrbot metal has an inductive sensor but they have significantly reduced range on nonferrous material like the UM2's ALU bed. So you need to use a bigger sensor which has significant weight. More weight on the head slows the top printing speed due to the weight causing ringing at hard change of direction.

Actually, Marlin's out-of-level compensation is pretty good but use need have have low backlash in the Z axis otherwise ir would reduce layer quality.

A truly level bed is always better.

I'm working on a physical bed sensor using a tiny servo, photo-interrupter and well a stick so it is as light as possible and requires the bare minimum of force. I'm hoping it will have very high repeatability.

Well, why not innovate and improve, even if the leveling is "so easy"?

I know I dislike the need to calibrate the bed before every print...its a necessary evil for good prints tho.

But, again, just an idea on something that can improve the ease of printing for people like me

Well, why not innovate and improve, even if the leveling is "so easy"?

I know I dislike the need to calibrate the bed before every print...its a necessary evil for good prints tho.

But, again, just an idea on something that can improve the ease of printing for people like me

I can't remember the last time I had to calibrate the bed (Ultimaker 2), maybe 30 or so prints ago and am still happy with the calibration.

I use a 200 micron first layer, printing direct on glass, and get a very even/glossy finish..

zwV5IjM.png

I am also a bit dubious of using any auto-levelling that constantly requires the adjustment of the Z-Axis, it would most certainly have an impact on print quality as opposed to the normal mechanical calibration.

Saying all that, I'm not against innovation, so I see no harm in asking..