Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
peyruz-gasimov

Need to print a mold

Hi, gr5!

Thanks for the hint.

I am looking for an extremely high resolution for microfluidics application. That's why I was interested exactly in Ultimaker 2.

Other choice I have in mind is OWL MC, but unfortunately I could not find any bussiness/private owner offering printing services at these resolutions online.

So if you have any info, would appreciate :)

Thanks again!

On 3dhubs you can specify UM2.

Very very few people out there (but the number is going to grow quick I think) have .25mm nozzles on their ultimaker. That is what will give you better resolution - smaller nozzles.

If you have a .4mm nozzle it has a radius of curvature of .2mm (.4 is diameter, .2 is therefore radius - if you are already lost you should just go think about the nature of circles some more before continuing).

So if you print say a cube, the 4 vertical corners will have (in theory - and pretty close in practice also) a roundness or a curvature with radius .2mm. However *inside* corners in theory can be perfect. So when printing fine details the bumps or convex portions will be rounded or blurred a bit by that .2mm radius. It's hard to say the *limit* of resolution is .2mm as it can definitely show details that are smaller than .2mm but that's a good basic rule of thumb: "a .4mm nozzle lets you print an accuracy of about .2mm".

A .3mm nozzle therefore down to .15mm and so on.

These smaller nozzles take a crazy long time to print anything larger than a pea. Typically 8X slower so a 20 hour print now suddenly takes a week to print! Or a 4 hour print takes over a day to print now.