How to Open stl files default with cura?

moldovan-marius

Posted · How to Open stl files default with cura?

All of a sudden after i downloaded another slicing program to try it out, my stl files dont open with cura . And i cant find the cura.exe to add it as open as default.

So now all i can do is go into cura and load model/.

Can someone help? Why doesnt cura have an exe ? i can only open it from my start menu in windows 7

• 6 months later...

Hello, the solution is installing cura in root.. c:/cura or d:/cura and associate it to "Cura.bat" "open with..>>choose..>>explore file..>>cura.bat"

Ancient thread but I ended up here so others that need help may as well.. In your windows search type "default apps" scroll down to the bottom and select "Choose default apps by file type" (takes a bit to load) look at left column and scroll down until you find the file type you want to set the default program for ("STL" in this case) now on the right column select the existing app icon or the "choose a default" icon a new window will pop up and you can select your desired program from the list.

Cheers

• Heart 1

I also wound up smack in the middle of a 5 year old original post. Playing off the last comment, I could not change default in the default apps system settings by file type page. There was no option for Cura shown or any choose another app there. However I was able to change it by right clicking an stl file and selecting Open with -> Choose another app, More apps, Look for another app on this pc, Select Ultimaker Cura folder and then choose Cura.exe and click Open. Make sure to check mark Always use this app to open .stl files. Now it appears as default app and an option to pick in the Default Apps system settings, go figure.