24V RAMPS 1.4

Posted · 24V RAMPS 1.4

Hi all

I'm looking at starting a Printer build from scratch, based mostly on the UMO.

I'll likely use a E3D V6 hotend (or 2), direct drive XY and custom extruder mechanism. not sure what heated bed to use yet, I like the UMO bed kit though.

what i'm mostly interested in at the moment is using a RAMPS 1.4 but at 24V. now i know with out mods to the board I'm likely to turn capacitors into fire crackers but i have since found this http://www.ultibots.com/taurino-power-ramps-1-4-bundle/

i am wondering what people's thoughts are.

cheers

Posted · 24V RAMPS 1.4

With a 24V heater I think there would be possibilities but note you need to replace the 12V voltage regulator. Don't know about the other parts on the board and the steppers how they would hold out. I played save and added a 24V to 19V dc/dc converter. This is actually also what the upgrade kit for the heated bed holds. Capacitors usually are 16V or 25V rated so possibly 24V would fit but still it is quite a risk adding a small dc/dc converter is cheaper then buy a new board if it blows.

Posted · 24V RAMPS 1.4

Why not just use a platform that is built for 24V like the Megatronics v3 or the RUMBA?

You shouldn't run capacitors that are rated for 25V at a 24V DC supply. As a rule of thumb, capacitors should always have a 30% higher voltage rating than the supply voltage. The headroom is necessary for voltage spikes and irregularities.

If you run an electrolytic capacitor too closely to it's maximum rating, it will deteriorate much quicker than it should.

Ceramic capacitors won't go defective, but they lose their effective capacitance - so running a ceramic cap closely to it's maximum voltage rating renders it pretty much useless.

Posted · 24V RAMPS 1.4

Good point Jonny

i think i like the look of the RUMBA to be honest. seems like a good neat little package.

cheers

Hi,

I'm using the Taurino and didn't tried yet with 24v but i bought it 2years ago from RepRapDiscount (i think that they sell but also make the board http://www.reprapdiscount.com) and it work fine.

I used it on a OrdBot Hadron and now in my "UM2 Like" wich is not finished yet.

Rumba look's good but i don't really know the diffrence.

Is it as easy as the Arduino to configure and find the good firmware ?

JL

Posted · 24V RAMPS 1.4

They are all the same platform, and they all run Marlin. Differences are in the details, such as the power stages, analog input quality, and features (how many temperature sensors, how many motor driver sockets...).

There are more advanced platforms (32bit Cortex M3 based, usually) which don't run Marlin but have their own custom firmware (such as the smoothieboard). And then there are the raspberry Pi and similar platforms. I have no experience with those, though...