Printing in high impact polystyrene

gamer

Posted · Printing in high impact polystyrene

Hello all - I was interested if anyone had any experience printing in the material HIPS (high impact polystyrene)

We do injection molding in this material - but I thought it could be interesting to do short run bits as add-on specials on a bank of Ultimakers. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

• 3 years later...
    Posted (edited) · Printing in high impact polystyrene

Did not try but the mold lay should be ok looking at the temp. Just check if the 3mm is 2.85 irl.

For the PC or PC ABS you should probaly best convert the ultimaker to a full metal head like e3d-v6. And change the firmware to alow higher temperatures.  Also you need to enclose the machine to create a heat chamber.

Edited by Guest

Posted (edited) · Printing in high impact polystyrene

These filaments might print well with the TF2K coupler (TFT+I2K) from 3dSolex which allows for extrusion temperatures up to 300°C... ;)The standard hotend is capped at 260°C afaik.

Edited by Guest

Yeah the tf2k might be a good idea. Have not tested it jet myself at hight temps. Also in this case you need to change the max temp in firmware. For the normal hotend 260 is possible but will damage your ptfe faster.

Yeah standard head is capped at 260 but will only last a short time at that unless the mods are installed like Dim3nsioneer mentions.