Look for ultimaker 2 owner to demo test

monika-twigg

Posted · Look for ultimaker 2 owner to demo test

Hey guys. I am Monika from Novomaker.

Some of you might remember I've post a video about Novomaker, it's an under construction platform of repository of 3D printable designs, a marketplace. (http://www.novomaker.com, make sure you have http:// for the address)

I am very glad to tell you that our website is launching soon. Before we go public, we have the platform's printing operating demo now. Now I am looking for people who have ultimaker 2, and would like to invite you to test printing a small robot model with our cloud-printing platform. I believe it will be sth good to experience, hope those with ultimaker 2 who have time and interest can help me test it.

Please send me email, I will reply you with how to test it. Or you can send me private message through this forum.

Email: monika@novomaker.com

Monika

Too much hassle!

Any other site you just download the stl model, use the default,or tweak the cura settings and let it print!

To go your route, its register, download and instal some soft, use your soft for set up and tweaking, need to be online!

What advantages are you claiming?

I can see plenty of disadvantages...

Too much hassle!

Any other site you just download the stl model, use the default,or tweak the cura settings and let it print!

To go your route, its register, download and instal some soft, use your soft for set up and tweaking, need to be online!

What advantages are you claiming?

I can see plenty of disadvantages...

Yes. Why would we do that? hahaha. You will see. God said people do things for a reason. :p

Yea, unfortunately the reason is usually money1

+1

Don't get me wrong, but you are asking to test a DRM system, on a forum that advocates open source !

I really hope your, and all other DRM systems on 3D printing will never work !

There are people don't like DRM for a reason, and I respect that.

And nor for something completely different;

Xeno, I don't think that is a good attitude. we need DRM. it's as simple as that. If 3D printing ever wants to grow from the hacker space to something that is used and accessible by everyone DRM needs to be there.

name me one thing that has to do with Digital Rights Management in it's form, so NOT with the implementation of it, that is wrong with it?

The dream most of us have is that there will be a time where when something breaks in my house, i can print a replacement. do you think the Nespresso's of this world will let you print replacement parts without getting compensated for their intellectual property?

the real issue with DRM, just as can be said for open source is the way it's implemented. take for instance Sony with the way they implemented their audio cd DRM system, hijacking operating systems by installing bootloaders.. that is just nasty. that's not a problem with DRM, but with Sony's take on it.

if you invest time and effort in it, I truly believe it is more than within your right to protect your investment. until there is a good DRM system for 3D printing, big vendors like Miele, Nespresso, Sony will never release any of their CAD drawings as STL's so you can print your own replacements..

K.

And I think you are wrong :)

The big corporations think they have to tightly control their intellectual property, but only to make more money,

if I ever buy a Nespresso machine, I would really like to be able to print "replacement parts" myself for free, I don't need the whole file of the machine, and not pay large sums of money, for a replacement set, that has 10 parts, and I only need one from the set.

like now with Apple gear, they will be dissected to see what is inside, and in the future 3D scanned !

they can't stop it, and DRM is only there to tightly control, and give rights to sue.

there will be more Ifixit like sites that will have the 3D files for free, and will be be better for everyone, the corporations wont have to make a lot of spare parts and store them for years to come, and gives rise to a whole new world of lifehacking and customization :)

as soon a new product is released you can buy and OWN that product, and no one can stop you or me, drawing and making spare parts, the Chinese do it all the time.

Giving the customers to possibility to make and customize the product will create a better brand loyalty, and more income for the corporations !

they just don't get it yet, and they are clinging on to the old money grabbing ways :)

[stepping off soapbox]

this conversation moved away from the original point but i like the conversation :)

I do want to point out that what i said was that Nespresso (as an example) could choose to pick their specific spare parts that they know can be 3d printed and offer this, with DRM protection, for a nominal fee so you can print this at your house. for instance, take the coffee cup waste bin. i can print it in XT for about 80 cents, i'm happy to pay 2 euros to Nespresso for the right to print it.

what you seem to be skipping over is the tremendous cost a company like Nespresso makes on inventing new cool stuff that we can use and make our day to day life better.

as far as your "no one can stop you or me" comment, yes they can. it's called copyright and is enforced through ways like DRM. if you buy a new apple phone, then scan the plastic parts and offer them to print, you will get sued. that is not what DRM is for, that is what copyright and patent laws are for.

what DRM is for is this:

let's say you had a fantastic idea for a 3D printer add-on. and not just any idea, but an idea that would transform 3D printing forever. and it;s actually a very simple device that people can print themselves and then use it. your target audience is everyone with a 3D printer and it would save everyone 100 dollars per year at the bare minimum. You have spend years and years developing this, investing 100.000 US of your own money and time. your pricing is 75 dollars per print and you have around 20.000 people interested before launch.

you will offer the STL files with printing instructions on your website.

there are 2 options:

option 1:

I can offer you a way to NOT impact print quality or user experience but make sure that when a person buys it, he or she can only print it on their printer and cannot share this with someone else who did not buy your solution, effectively making you 1.5 million dollar or more

option 2:

you start selling it unprotected on your website, the second buyer immediately shares this with everyone he knows or might even start selling it with his/her name on it for a lesser price. you get some money in donations but most people don't know you were the inventor so they assume it's free. this option just made you 5000 dollars.

what are your feelings now about DRM?

because this is the reality. no DRM means either not releasing or losing 95K of your own money. DRM means everyone that needed or wanted it could download and print it while paying the rightful owner and inventor. plus all the time and effort you put in it paid off..

i'm not talking about patenting and weird stuff to screw people over like Makerbot is trying to do.. i'm talking about DRM in a way of protecting people's intellectual property. it is up to a person or company to make stuff open source or free.. or not.

wanting to protect your investment and seeing something back for your time and effort is called a business. it's not evil.

Wow, nice discussion going on here. I'm somewhere in between you guys, but perhaps we should move this to a seperate thread and let this thread serve Monika(if mods agree/allow this ofcourse).

What I wonder Monika, why only UM2 at this point? (I have an UMO)

And also, to play the devils advocate, not an attack, what's in it for the testers, they are essentially helping you to test/develop your product ;)

I am really happy to see this meaningful discussion :p