Im looking for someone to print a test part

adksigns

Posted · Im looking for someone to print a test part

Hello my name is Matt and I am contemplating the purchase of the Ultimaker 2 Extended. I have a sample part that I am working on that I would like printed so I can evaluate. I would be willing to pay,

Here is a picture of a similar part and its dimensions.

Thank you matt@grizzlyrc.com

2015-03-12_01-10-18.png

Getting someone else to print something isn't a very good way of evaluating the performance of any particular printer!

By supplying someone with, or downloading a file, leaves the printer operator very limited on how he can position/print for the best results! For instance, your part has large hollows where the finish is going to be poor, to not too good!, If you were printing this yourself, you could for example, print it in two parts and glue together afterwards, which would make a very clean part. plus many other tricks

bigmouse;

i disagree. any decent 3DHubs operator will inform you exactly about the drawbacks of your current drawing.

getting someone to print, if it is an experienced person, will get you the best result, the best advice from someone that knows his printer..

I understand why two pieces would be better... looking at it now. And for prototyping would be adequate.

Currently I am researching Formlabs Form1+ vs Ultimaker priced similar.

There are people with the form1 also on 3dhubs. The prices on 3dhubs are quite good and you often get someone local so you can actually go pick up the part and chat with the person about how they like their printer. The UMO has basically identical quality so if there is no one in the area with UM2 consider UMO.

Your part will print fine as shown - the biggest issue is the 45 degree overhang underneath the part. The top is fine as UM printers are very good at bridging a gap (when it starts printing that flat ceiling it just bridges across from the center and outer rings).

The 45 degree overhang will have some ugliness - bumps and such but it will be minor. If that surface needs to be dimensionally accurate then you will have trouble fitting it in proper position.

Personally I would print it as shown. No support added.

As a hub I print stuff way more difficult than this all the time - just look up a U certified hub near you and put in an order it will give you an immediate price.

James

I didn't say it can't be done! it depends on what precision of finish you are seeking! For me it isn't a contest of how complicated you can make a part in one printing session! Bridging hollows leave non precision surfaces! For prototyping, I am happier with printing these areas slightly over/under size and post machining to wanted tolerance, but guess that everyone has different aims with these machines regardless of make and model.

I want to thank everyone for the advice. I am going to 3dhubs and order up some prints.