Carbon 3D printer

cloakfiend

Posted · Carbon 3D printer

This Carbon 3D resin printer looks very promising indeed there goes form 1+ future purchase down the toilet... With the ultimaker as a cheaper rough and ready side kick, the future looks very interesting!

Interesting news, but I would like to know more about the compete process, costs and the materials available.

As you probably read in the Form 1+ thread, using this technique it is quite a sticky process with several steps of post-processing including chemicals and UV-light. The resin is expensive and both resin and the printing bucket needs to be replaced regularly.

I expect the Carbon3D to require similar post-processing and to have similar or higher printing costs (the membrane that can let oxygen through sounds expensive for example)

There is also a limited range of materials that can be printed with this technique. It is not very likely that we will see materials filled with metal particles for example.

So as much as I like the idea, I think the simplicity, low cost and versatility of FDM-printers is quite a challenge to beat.

I agree though that Form 1+ might get a difficult competitor once Carbon3D reaches the market, but I also think that these machines generally might end up as the sidekick to the Ultimaker, not the other way around.

I might be wrong though, only time can tell :smile:

I'd like to chip in on this about the Form +1 I had test prints done in the UK the print was not good and whats more the resin was brittle the print was not accurate and with warping. in the UK there seems little support for this printer it was high on my spend list but not anymore.

have you looked at https://markforged.com

Yeah the printer that prints in carbon fibre sounds interesting, but i hope the carbon3d printer wont have the same issues as the form1+.

I have now ended my quest for printing the smoothest most perfect part and am perfectly happy with my ultimaker 2 results after my last session of atomic cleaning method, i just wish it was a bit quicker! lol

I also heard of inconsistent quality issues with the form1+ and the cost is just far to high at the moment with all the waste material. The ultimaker 2 is not going anywhere soon!

but a printer that prints in minutes instead of days is welcome anytime!

I Agree My UM2 is doing well but really want a dual head printer. Looked at the From HS. and the Iron Cor (dodgy company) but decided to wait for UM3

I spoke to Formlabs last week while I was in NYC during the 3D Printshow, and the representative I spoke to said that the material they required in order to pass oxygen through the resin container in the size of the Formlabs would cost several thousands of dollars, apparently it is more expensive then gold.

Sounds like it is going to be a pretty expensive machine.