Recycle, reuse

alexx

Posted · Recycle, reuse

Hi,

we are producing small objects (15 cm3 each) in Colorfabb PLA.

We are happy with the result, we have a nice smooth and glossy bottom surface.

We are now intending producing small series of this object, for professional use. This year we will need 250 units.

PLA low glass transition temperature of 45°C is a problem. For safety reasons, we need at least 70°C.

So I'm now considering Colorfabb XT. The downside is that it is not biosourced and I cannot find any information its ability to be recycled.

Could you please help on this :

- am I mad, intending to produce small series with a UM2 ?

- Do you know any FDM material that be properly reused/recycled ? Or at least with a decent waste strategy ?

Thanks,

Alex

Posted · Recycle, reuse

My town recycles all types of plastics. Including PET (XT) and ABS. By law in USA everything has a number on the bottom from 1 to 9. My town doesn't care and all types go into the same recycling bin. Some towns only recycle certain numbers.

ABS is #9 (sometimes it says ABS)

PET is #1 (I assume XT is also #1)

PLA is #7

Maybe things are different in France?

Posted · Recycle, reuse

I know some resellers sell Colorfabb XT as PET (recycle code 1).

But I cannot find any mention of it on Colorfabb's website, even on the safety data sheet: http://colorfabb.com/files/amphora_sds_en.pdf.

So I suspect it falls into category 7, "other plastics", which means waste will probably be incinerated.

I've asked Colorfabb it XT could be recycled and the answer was "yes it is" without any other details.

I'll get more information and I will try update this post, if anyone is interested.

Posted · Recycle, reuse

I've asked Colorfabb it XT could be recycled and the answer was "yes it is" without any other details.

My suspicion was already aroused, but now I am sure something is going on there they would rather have no one noticing. The stuff is probably as hard to recycle as good old oil plastics, or maybe even worse.

They are just too expertly avoiding having to give any answers :p

Posted · Recycle, reuse

Printing recycling codes onto objects is really quite convenient and makes them look a bit more professional too :smile:

2015 04 14 5513[1]

ABS might be interesting in your case. I print almost exclusively ABS since I often need the extra temperature resistance.

It is also easier to "sell" ABS since it is a more well known plastic outside the 3D-printing community than PLA or XT (which is PETG i believe?).

Once you got used to working with ABS is it prints very reliably, although it takes some time to learn about shrinking and warping and how to handle / prevent it.