Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Could someone please tell me if the peek i have is beyond salvageable or usable ?

Here are some pics of it..

U3rqY.jpg

I feel like the left over bits of PLA plastic inside the peek at the point where the threading starts make this peek unusable.

WYVnF.jpg

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

jcguc.jpg

Cheers and Regards

Like dinac said that looks perfectly usable. Heat it up a bit to make the plastic softer and thus easier to clean out. I like to use a q-tip which I twist in the cavity while it is hot (the PEEK that is, not the q-tip :p ), takes the leftover PLA right out. It might be hard to screw the brass tube back in if it's cold so once again, heat everything up a bit before re-assembly and it'll be much much easier.

Hello!

In similar situation, I cleaned the peek part by dipping it in Dichloromethane (it works also with acetone, but it's less efficient). Out of the dip, you can finish the cleaning with a toothpick as PLA/ABS soften in the solvant while PEEK is insensitive to it.

Gael

Hi!

It works fine even if you don't breath the solvant and the cleaning is much more thorough this way.

You'll mainly feel the difference when you reassemble the head!

I can tell!

++

Gael

I guess it's a question of risk vs reward. I don't have a fume hood, so I prefer to avoid toxic solvents as much as possible, even if I get slightly less optimal results from less toxic options.