Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
mekks-mechanics

x and y stepper motor shaft to short?

i recived my ultimaker original plus kit today and have just started to assemble the x and y stepper motor and now i see that the stepper motor shaft is to short so the set screw almost dont have any thing to grip on:S

have i got the wrong parts or is there something wrong with my stepper motors?

i have added 2 pictures so that you all can see what i mean

20150410 172640

20150410 172627

Very weird indeed... my stepper shafts go through the pulley by like 2-3 mm.

Stepper shaft

So I would say you somehow got the wrong type of stepper motors... I wonder how many of those they sent out... I'm sure they would like to know asap.

The assembly guide shows the same thing (scroll down a bit and you'll find the part with the stepper motors and pulleys)

http://wiki.ultimaker.com/Ultimaker_rev.4_assembly:_Frame

yeh it feels pretty bad knowing i cant get printing any time soon :( and to know there is someting wrong with a kit that cost soo much money!

yeah i been waching sander do his magic in the order and delivery section and hope he can do some magic for me.

I have sent him a pm so hopefully he answers soon

i have been building all the otherstuff i could do and even with the spare parts bag its missing 21 m3 nuts.

how is this possible??

yeah i know human error but there is still the markings on the bags to confirm that they have been checked.

I think we have exactly the same kit,

short shafts of the X and Y motors, missing 20 nuts while there were far more lock nuts also one connector from the hot bed was missing or it was different I am not near the printer at the moment to check and the ultimaker board has connectors without screws to fix the cables.

ah yeah maybe they have some problems with a lot of kits then?

yeah i can maybe get the pulleys to fasten to the edge of the shaft but i dont feel comfortable doing it cause its soo close to the edge :( but i have now assembled the rest of the printer and the ulticontroller dont work or something is wrong.

when i turn the printer on the ulticontroller turns on to but it lights up and there is black squars on the screen where the text should be. have tried to switch the cables but no change :(

any idea?

about the Ulticontroller. Since you have already swapped the cables and still get nothing.

You may have a bad ribbon cable. I only figured this out by testing with my multi-meter. I found that one or two pins do not conduct, so the LCD light up and half works. I've seen this twice so far out of the 9 machines I've worked with.

Hi mekks well the not so funny thing is I also get these black squares did you manage to solve the issue?

about the black squars on the ulticontroller yeah i fixed that problem:)

i started a ticket with support and they sent me a new ulticontroller and that fixed the problem. i havent tried to use the ribbon cable from the new kit on the first ulticontroller so cant confirm if it is the pcb or ribbon cable.

and about the motors i am still waiting for replacement