Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Orthodontic models

mlyons

Posted · Orthodontic models

Hello everyone. I have a 3D scanner that i use in place of impressions for making retainers. Unfortunately my lab charges me $15 per print using an Objet printer. I think I can reduce my costs to <$5 per model with my own printer but I don't want to spend $20K for an Objet.

Is there an Ultimaker2 user who would be willing to print a model for me and mail it to my office so I can check for accuracy and detail? I would also like to know how long it takes to print and how much material is used so I can estimate costs.

I am willing to compensate for time and materials

Mike

Posted · Orthodontic models

I assume that as the retainer will be placed in the mouth you will need to use a material that is certified by your medical authority. I do not know if such a material exists that can be used by the UM or other similar FDM printers. If not done so already, it is probably worthwhile establishing that before going too much further.

Posted (edited) · Orthodontic models

Hi Mike.

I bought my UM2 printer from a dentist. He sold the printer because he was unable to get the quality he needed to print dental models.

Emilio.

Edited by Guest