Gap on between perimeters and top infill.

mutrax

Posted · Gap on between perimeters and top infill.

Problem;

Whenever I print a part with a horizontal top surface. I get a gap between the top infill and the perimeters.

I work with slic3r, and you can adjust the refular infill overlap, wich makes the part nice and stirdy, But for top and bottom solid infill I can't find a setting for solid infill/perimeter overlap.

Help!

Left is pla lightsaber, right is igus tribo machine part

IMG_20150421_185732003.thumb.jpg.13f6e784089344c61d972f070ce56b5e.jpg

IMG_20150421_185732003.thumb.jpg.13f6e784089344c61d972f070ce56b5e.jpg

• Like 1

Well you could use cura. You shouldn't have to adjust this parameter. It indicates you have some play/backlash or underextrusion. Are you using your UM2 for this? It doesn't look like underextrusion but it's hard to tell in the small photo. But backlash is rare on the UM2. Are your long belts and short belts all reasonably tight? Check all 6 belts! Count them. With power off push the head around - is one axis much more high resistance?

Backlash can be caused by either loose belts or by high resistance. In either case the head doesn't move as far as intended.

Or as I said it could be underextrusion. Maybe slicer is putting out an extra thick top layer to line the top up with the desired top of the part - so if the part is 10.05mm tall then the final layer may print .15 mm thick and this might be too fast (too much volume) for your printer and you might have to print slower on that layer.

Maybe slicer is putting out an extra thick top layer to line the top up

Okay that theory is wrong because some of your parts have the problem on a layer other than the top layer.

When you figure it out mutrax and it's working and you are sure you figured it out, please post the answer yourself and mark it as "best answer". I think only you can do that.

Nope, tension of the belts are A-ok. underextrusion is not it either, I tend to print hot & slow.

Nope, tension of the belts are A-ok.

All 6 belts? Also did you push the head around with power off?

Posted (edited) · Gap on between perimeters and top infill.

I also seem to have this problem, but on a much smaller scale and only really on text and things i've extruded quickly in Maya. I have a feeling my polys were too stretched out, but ill try doing it again after tessellating the polys.I think i also had an issue in max with text, but not other solid edges so it may be how you have also exported or built it.

It may also to be to do with the scale you have modelled it at and then the shell settings, even though i was printing solid infill and still had the same issues.

I'll post an example later but i left my phone at home, but printing at 0.2 made the problem less visible. at 0.1 i could peel the rim off which was annoying, but i just printed hotter and it seemed to help.

Edited by Guest

jup. Did both, all seems ok. This problem doesn't occur when using cure... so It has something todo with the way the gcode gets generated. You can fix this with regular infill by using a % overlap, but this setting doesn't exist in slic3r for top infills.

Sory to revive; but decided to give slic3r another shot because I needed some advanced settings.

Solution to stated problem can be found here;

http://www.extrudable.me/2013/11/03/slic3r-strange-defaults-causing-qu-bd-woes/