Ultimaker 2 buildplate does not rise to top properly and remains about 25mm below the print nozzle

Bulldozer

Posted · Ultimaker 2 buildplate does not rise to top properly and remains about 25mm below the print nozzle

The build plate on my Ultimaker 2 stops about 25mm short of the print nozzle. I have checked that the z switch is clear of debris and it clicks when the plate goes down. Unfortunately I do not have a multimeter so I cannot check the switch but I wondered if anyone else had had the same problem and has a possible solution before I start purchasing kit to troubleshoot the problem!

Thanks

Posted · Ultimaker 2 buildplate does not rise to top properly and remains about 25mm below the print nozzle

Have you tried recalibrating it? Perhaps the firmwares settings got lost/reset and it simply needs a new calibration run.

re-level it? When you home the Z bed it should hit the switch on the bottom, breifly go up and then down a second time and either stop or then go up.

If it slams into the bottom and makes a terrible racket then your Z switch isn't triggering.

If it never goes all the way down then the Z switch is probably stuck closed.

Issues about the home height probably mean you lost your "level" or you didn't calibrate it yet. It's pretty easy to find among the menus as it's one of the only 4 or so menus UM seems to want you to be able to find quickly (level bed, print, change filament).

Thanks for your replies, may be I did not quite explain the issue very well. When I start to re-level the plate using the interface the plate does not get close enough to the print head to enable me to adjust the screws for the fine adjustment, the plate is at least 25mm lower than the nozzle. I have established that the z switch is working as it should but it appears the motor does not run long enough to raise the plate to the correct starting height.

You first need to use the control knob on the front of the printer to get it close and then use the screws under the bed to fine tune it.

• Like 2

You first need to use the control knob on the front of the printer to get it close and then use the screws under the bed to fine tune it.

Thank you, that is the step I was missing!

Bulldozer please flag gothampixels answer as "best answer", thanks.