Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
small

Cracked Printer Head body

I received my second Ultimaker 2 today. I was inspecting if anything was broken in transit and that's when I noticed a crack running from top to bottom of the black body of the printer head. Please see pictures attached below.

5a330dd71f81e_photo1.thumb.JPG.503f7270c7422d9ffa4f8efd249c3368.JPG

5a330dd757dc9_photo3.thumb.JPG.137e421a8435c2f2468543a8287ec944.JPG

Is this supposed to be there or did it come broken?

i checked my old Ultimaker 2 and noticed it has the crack as well. But the crack formation seems different than the new one. I believe it could have cracked from the use.

Should by new Ultimaker 2 have it as well or is it broken?

Thanks for help

-Small

5a330dd71f81e_photo1.thumb.JPG.503f7270c7422d9ffa4f8efd249c3368.JPG

5a330dd757dc9_photo3.thumb.JPG.137e421a8435c2f2468543a8287ec944.JPG

Hi Small,

I've just looked at my UM2 which I got in October 2014 and I don't have a split like you are showing in your photo, looks like it may have been over tightened whilst not being seated properly and split.

I've seen a few machines like that unfortunately. On the up side I can't see it affecting performance/quality, so I don't think it's much to worry about from that perspective. Of course, on a brand new printer it's not fun to see.

Replacing that particular part is a bit of a pain as you have to completely disassemble the print head and pop out one of the head rods (or disconnect all the wires that goes to the head at the controller board, not sure which is more annoying).

• Like 2