Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
mtmvetultimaker

Ultimaker 2: ALWAYS problems! I need to fix or buy a new mainboard

When I read posts of people complaining that they just received their printer and after 2-3 days it is “ALREADY” with problems, I can just say that Ultimaker 2 is an “ALWAYS” problem!!!

My new one is that I need to know if it is possible to fix a mainboard or any experience of people using mainboards from china.

Three weeks ago, I replied an old post (https://ultimaker.com/en/community/view/11492-ultimaker-2-main-board ) explaining that “ after solving all the usual problems (clogging, feeder, etc,etc) , my printer (ultimaker 2) was working fine, but suddenly it stopped working and did not turned on anymore.

I opened a ticket in support and learned that, in this case, I must change the mainboard. My warranty is expired and the cost is 295 euros (plus shipping+ 90% customs taxes to send to Brazil). “

Sowordiff recommended me to check the power supply but, I did it and it is ok.

During the last two weeks I have been sending pictures of my mainboard to Ultimaker’s technical support but, no solution up to this time. The mainboard has no sign of any short circuit or damage!! The printer has 16 months of use!!! Less than 300 hrs of real printing( and probably much more hours fixing everyday problems ).

Anyway, I need to figure out a solution in order to make the printer work again without spending a lot of money.

Thanks for any help.

Mario

• Like 1

Wow. I've been pretty lucky I guess.

Are you absolutely sure it isn't the power supply? I get problems all the time with the power supplies and have to let them cool down for a few hours and sometimes a few days. I have 3 UM2 power supplies and 2 printers and they are always dying on me (but never during a print) about once per week. But they always recover. One of the symptoms is the blue light is off.

So no lights come on at all? No LEDs? No Display? And no fan (3rd fan behind print head)?

If so then the problem is probably simple. Do you know someone good with schematics and a multimeter?

The circuit diagram is in this large pdf file here:

ULTIMAKER 2 SCHEMATIC - click "raw":

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Ultimaker2/blob/master/1091_Main_board_v2.1.1_%28x1%29/Main%20Board%20V2.1.1.pdf

I would take the cover off the PCB plug it in, turn it on and start checking that 24V reaches past the switch. I bet it doesn't even reach that far.

Indeed I broke two times the transistor of the pwm fan and I was able to solder a new one (btw it's so easy to learn to solder and this smd board is just a walk in the park to fix). A friend teeched me the other day with a air heat solder and some kapton we took the transistor off and placed a new one (less than 1€ part) and it's working like new. If one think it's greatabout ultimaker clearly it's how easy it's to repair, fix and upgrade thanks to the amount of open source information, manuals and specially the knowledge of the guys in the forum.