Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
jeffhuber

Pitting in Surface finish

Look at the part in layer view and look what is happening there. I think this is where your outer layer starts and ends.

Make sure your nozzle is .4mm and your shell is .8mm.

Try printing at a slow percentage in the tune menu for a few layers and see if these go away - try 20mm/sec for a few layers to see if that's better. So if your normal speed is say 40mm/sec then print at 50% for several layers. If your normal speed is 50mm/sec then print at 40% speed (just divide 100*20/(your speed) to get percentage).

It kinda looks like a vase, in that case you could also try the "Spiralize" function in the expert settings. This will cause cura to create a single wall on your print where the z-axis is constantly moving as the print head goes around and around (thus the "spiral" in the name). Just be aware that any wall thickness you set will be the wall thickness cura will try to accomplish with a single pass. So if you have it set to 0.8mm for example it will overextrude massively to try and create a 0.8mm wall in a single pass.

This will only work for vase shapes.

I'm actually a bit surprised that you're seeing pitting rather than blobs though as cura usually creates blobs on the layer shifts.