Filament curls around nozzle and doesn't stick

Bigeye

Posted · Filament curls around nozzle and doesn't stick

Out of the box I printed the Ultimakerrobot and it worked fine. Since then I can't manage to make good prints. I tried the robot again but now the filament curls up around the nozzle and/or doesn't stick on the plate. I recalibrate the bed and am printing with factory settings. The filament is black PLA.

What can be the problem?

• Like 1

This is common if your print head is just slightly too far from the glass. The PLA won't stick to the glass. A 30 second video of the first layer printing would help but I recommend you simply skip the leveling step and rotate all 3 bed screws 1/2 turn counter clockwise (looking from below) such that the glass is slightly closer to the nozzle. You want the plastic squished somewhat onto the warm glass. Glass should be 50C to 60C for PLA.

Thanks, I will try but for now I ran into another problem: the filament (PLA) doesn't come out. So I refed the material. It seemed to work at first, material coming out from the nozzle while feeding. But when I started printing again, nothing. Can the nozzle get clogged?

Hi!

You can have to LITTLE bed gap also. The hole is very tiny so if it touches the glass nothing comes out.

PLA prints at 210-215 initially until you have more experience.

If you change to ABS (245C++) then residue PLA will burn and stick inside nozzle.

Solution: 2-10 ATOMIC pulls. Search the site or www.3dverkstan.se (Bet service in European history), support pages.

Thanks, the gap wasn't too big, there was nothing flowing at all, even not before the nozzle reached the bed.I refer material again and then it came out. I had a look at their site, but don't see an English version, I am overlooking something?

Cheers!

You may have a nozzle clog but maybe not. There's lots of things keeping the material from coming out. For example if the tip of the filament is flat as it enters the print head it can get caught up on a ridge. Or the feeder may have ground down the filament. Or there could be some material in the tube and the filament is stuck in the tube (that was the most recent issue for me).

heat the nozzle to 180C then cut power and try to pull the filament out back through the feeder a few inches and see if it's damaged where it was in the feeder or if you can't pull it out because it's stuck in the bowden tube. If that works fine then shove it back in and look for filament coming out the still-hot nozzle.

Posted (edited) · Filament curls around nozzle and doesn't stick

Atomic method:

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/view/5118-blocked-nozzle#reply-34691

And on verkstan (just use google - not so hard!) - I think this explanation is better than mine:

http://support.3dverkstan.se/article/10-the

Edited by Guest

Thanks! I found it.