X axis wobbling- Solved

Posted (edited) · X axis wobbling- Solved

Hi,

I started noticing I was getting wavy bottom layer prints on my Ultimaker2. Certain areas on the bottom layer would be transparent (meaning it was too close to the bed) and certain areas wouldn't stick (which means it was too far away). I tried levelling the build plate multiple times but it didn't help. Then I noticed that there was some wobble on my x axis. See this video- https://goo.gl/photos/8YGQmcg8ihVPQeJC8

I contacted Ultimaker support and they suggested I change all my pulleys. I did that yesterday but it didn't make any difference. What could the problem be? IMG_20150521_162423.thumb.jpg.a37ef0bcc28d52b97baae47380451238.jpg

IMG_20150521_162423.thumb.jpg.a37ef0bcc28d52b97baae47380451238.jpg

Edited by Guest

Posted · X axis wobbling- Solved

Have you checked the rod? Try removing it from the machine and rolling it on something that you know is flat, like a mirror for example. If the rod isn't straight and you can't easily straighten it yourself, you should have UM (or the place you bought it from) ship you a replacement.

The most common cause of this problem is that the screw heads for the 3 leveling screws are sticking up and lifting the glass into a saddle shape. If this is your case, remove the screws and drill them out a little deeper with a counter sink drill bit.

The next most common is where DHL shipping seemingly put your ultimaker tilted onto one foot and then pushed down on the opposite top corner until the entire printer is warped into a parellelogram. This is obvious because your printer will rock back and forth and only touch with 3 feet at a time. This is fixable by compressing the 2 corners that are now farthest apart using an elephant to sit on it or something similar.

Some people add a washer or other thin thing under the glass on the 2 "low" corners. This works pretty well.

Have you checked the rod? Try removing it from the machine and rolling it on something that you know is flat, like a mirror for example. If the rod isn't straight and you can't easily straighten it yourself, you should have UM (or the place you bought it from) ship you a replacement.

Spot on! I took out the x axis rod and rolled it on a flat piece of glass. It is definitely wobbling-

https://goo.gl/photos/QnLUfU4kbyC6GTbdA

Will ask Ultimaker Support to send me a new one

The most common cause of this problem is that the screw heads for the 3 leveling screws are sticking up and lifting the glass into a saddle shape.  If this is your case, remove the screws and drill them out a little deeper with a counter sink drill bit.

The next most common is where DHL shipping seemingly put your ultimaker tilted onto one foot and then pushed down on the opposite top corner until the entire printer is warped into a parellelogram.  This is obvious because your printer will rock back and forth and only touch with 3 feet at a time.  This is fixable by compressing the 2 corners that are now farthest apart using an elephant to sit on it or something similar.

Some people add a washer or other thin thing under the glass on the 2 "low" corners.  This works pretty well.

I definitely have the saddle problem. I'd uploaded a picture on another thread but will add it here again. I'll work on a counter sink solution but adding a washer is a good idea too. DSCF2153.thumb.JPG.a736afc1db02511c23ff6068af3a66ba.JPG

DSCF2153.thumb.JPG.a736afc1db02511c23ff6068af3a66ba.JPG

Washer isn't as good of a solution because having an air gap between the glass and the aluminum means the glass is much cooler than desired.

Just get one of these inexpensive bits - you don't have to take anything apart - just remove one screw at a time and drill it out for a few seconds.

41ETY9BNXJL.jpg

But if you do it with the bed in place, be very careful that no metal shavings end up in the electronics.

(btw, that tiny bit that the screw is sticking up in that pic doesn't really matter I think, I've been printing with far worse on one of my printers without any issues at all).

Spot on! I took out the x axis rod and rolled it on a flat piece of glass. It is definitely wobbling-

https://goo.gl/photos/QnLUfU4kbyC6GTbdA

Will ask Ultimaker Support to send me a new one

I got the new rods and installed all of them. Problem was solved. Thanks for the help. I'll explore gr5s countersink option.