Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
shurik

3D Printing lesson at school

Hi guys,

Last Thursday I gave two consecutive lessons at my son's school for 7-graders.

It was a great success and we all enjoyed a lot.

Below is my feline battalion on the way to conquer the hearts of the children:

IMG_1328.thumb.JPG.988730e81d03a20f672481a24dabb8a6.JPG

Only three cats out of the seventy made their way back home. :-)

• Like 3

Oh, it just took me one month to see that the topic had replies. My apologies, the forum engine is just great.

@tinydancer - it were just two lessons, about 45 minutes each. So, we did not have much time. Since I was too lazy to bring the printer itself, we saw the photos of it, a very short movie of UM2 working, especially - starting to print and finishing a print. Then, I brought a whole lot of all kinds of small nice things printed over the time, to show off. We spoke about the principles of the 3D printing process, materials, including the examples of filaments, Q&A. We only had a few minutes left to show Cura, Tinkercad and Meshmixer, but they hopefully got the idea.

At the end, the great cats giveaway concluded the show.

It looks like we all enjoyed the day.

Personally, would recommend people here to try this - very rewarding experience.

@shurik, if you go to your settings you can set your notifications.

You can choose immediate email notifications, or daily or weekly.

That way you stay up to date if you get a reply and it won't have to be a month until you notice.

The website also generates notifications at the bell on the top of your screen.

Please post on the General forum feedback what you think could be improved.

That's great!

I frequently get asked to do talks about robotics and 3D printing to school kids. I print my full-sized R2-D2 with me and answer a lot of questions about how I built it, how it moves, makes noises and the basics. The advanced kids like seeing the 3D printed parts that are inside of R2-D2, such as the UNO Arduino controller mounts and other mounts/ductwork I have printed to help place the electronics safely inside the aluminum frame.

I would really like to do more on the 3D printing side of it, since hauling an Ultimaker printer around is a lot less work than a 200 pound aluminum robot!

• Like 1