Dual/Dual to single Extruder modifications

Posted · Dual/Dual to single Extruder modifications

Hey fellow nerds. I recently picked up an ultimaker 2 for the company I work for. And my goal is like many others, to speed up 3d printing but fortunately due to the nature of the parts I will be designing and making I dont need a .04 mm extrusion. I would like about a 1.6 actually. So I went through the testing bored out one of the ultimaker extruder heads and the size worked fantastically. but the speed at which I could extrude material is still quite slow due to melting speeds, and the support material was way too thick, so I hopped on solidworks and designed a dual-feed extrude head (should have a pic below) and eliminated the need for the support material. I intend on having our machinist make it up within the next few days. But there are a few things I would like to know.

1.) Can I change the firmware to push 2 separate strands of material at the same time.

2.) What is the exact type(mix) of the original heads material so I can determine the thermodynamic efficiency and choose a material for mine that works best.

3.) At what point does the system throw the heater error (and what are the conditions)

4.) Any suggestions questions?

Untitled.thumb.png.26dea68fee5dacb2a950f16337b46af4.png

Untitled.thumb.png.26dea68fee5dacb2a950f16337b46af4.png

• 10 months later...

I dont have a clue if you ever finish this, but you should looking into " Diamond Hot end"

It uses 3 filament inputs and outputs to 1 nozzle.

This was used on some reprap 3d printers running marlin.

Its possible to do the same thing with the UM the firmware just needs to be changed.

• 5 months later...

I found that two was easier because it already had the connections on the board for a second hot end, temp sensor, extruder motor. It was really just plug and play after machining the hotend. Also simplify3d already had the settings in some hidden firmware for the dual extrusion control and it was really...well...simple. it had indepent temp controls so i could tweak the melt/ feed infinitely etc etc etc.

1.) Can I change the firmware to push 2 separate strands of material at the same time.

As far as I know, only one E-motor could be the active feeder.

Although it's possible to activate both heaters.

4.) Any suggestions questions?

So, if you want to have 2 simultaneously running E-motors, my guess, is to re-direct the E1 step & dir signal on the big pcb, directly to E2 step & dir. (Do this on your own responsibility..)

Posted (edited) · Dual/Dual to single Extruder modifications

Hi KevinMakes,

this looks like an interesting design. But I dont think you can machine this part in one piece. The holes where the filament goes trough can't be drilled as they are not straight.

The nozzle and the ollsson block are made of brass, it might be CuZn36Pb3 as that is really good to machine. It might be CuZn28, if its without lead. It's not that good to machine as CuZn36P3, but its easier to polish and it might be harder and more resistant to abrasion. I don't know if you are able to notice differences in thermal conductivity as long it is brass, but i don't think so.

I don't know when the heater error drops for the hotend, but I know on the heated bed it's at ca. 200°C.

There is a Tinkergnome firmware for dual extrusion, that sould work for you.

Edited by Guest

Interesting design . so 2 heaters powered by UM2 board? Still have the heated bed working? 1.6 nozzle wow , think swappable nozzles I would great on that. You know this is a part that could be 3d printed in titanium.