the third fan

fredercik

Posted · the third fan

I have recently purchased a second ultimaker 2 and have noticed the third fan doesn't come on as soon as I switch the printer on whereas it does on my slightly older one, is this normal?

Posted · the third fan

Yes it is, we changed it a little while back to prevent the fan to be on for no reason.

It is now only on when the machine is in use.

Good luck with both of your Ultimakers! :)

Posted · the third fan

Yes it is, we changed it a little while back to prevent the fan to be on for no reason.

It is now only on when the machine is in use.

Good luck with both of your Ultimakers! :)

amazing thank you very much for the prompt response :)

Posted · the third fan

Hi @Patrick181,

if I am not mistaken it is a combination between a firmware upgrade but also a change in the electronics.

Hi Sander,

a supplementary question:

If i am not mistaken these changes are not published as open source yet, but it will be made available later (in a couple of months - as always).

Can you attest this?

Posted · the third fan

The firmware is always posted before it's even released. Every edit and why the edit was made, every delta (difference), it's all there in github. Some people knew the Ultimaker2 was coming out months ahead of time because they saw the Marlin changes in github:

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Ultimaker2Marlin

Posted (edited) · the third fan

The firmware is always posted before it's even released.

AFAIK - there are no commits relating to the fan control - at least not during the last year...

That's why i ask...

I just try to enlighten the rumours that this feature is somehow dependent on the firmware version...

If you're right - it isn't.

Let's see, if @SandervG confirms this.

Edited by Guest

Posted · the third fan

I was pretty sure I saw that commit recently. It turns the fan off when temp is below 40C. There's no way to do that in the hardware. I'll go search...

Posted · the third fan

As usual it's complicated.

EXTRUDER_AUTO_FAN_TEMPERATURE

I think that's the feature. Well the feature was added by a non ultimaker person "Scott Lahteine" in june of 2013 (almost exactly 2 years ago) and pulled into Daid's branch at some point. Then recently Daid changed the temperature from 50C to 40C and other changes this past december 18 to get the feature to work with UM2. and possibly other edits that I missed.

Posted (edited) · the third fan

Here is the firmware change:

wait that's not it...

Ah - here it is:

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Ultimaker2Marlin/commit/ce7320c8804c76e34662bb5f97635c91ededff23

Note he means "hysteresis" not "hyristics".

I don't know why it is in the "lite" branch.  I don't know what the various branches mean.  What is the difference between "lite" and "master"?

Edited by Guest

Posted · the third fan

Hi @Patrick181,

if I am not mistaken it is a combination between a firmware upgrade but also a change in the electronics.

I found another thread that confirms this. Apparently they redesigned the electronics for the release of the "Go" unit post 15.02. I can attest as I did update last night to 15.04 and found no change in behavior of my extruded fan which is always on.

Posted · the third fan

I don't know why it is in the "lite" branch.  I don't know what the various branches mean.  What is the difference between "lite" and "master"?

Interesting stuff, but this branch is obviously not intended for the current printers...

i read terms like:

- two extruders...

- experimental ultimainboard...

- automatic bed leveling with capacitive sensor..

..and some more stuff to screw up competitors... :)

• Like 1

Posted · the third fan

Okay - well maybe we just stumbled onto UM's next product. The UM Lite? Or could that be the um2go? I hope their next product doesn't still use an arduino! It's time to move on!

Anyway those branches are tough to search through and the feature may have been put in there much earlier than that date and may have made it to the UM2 branches.

Ah! This must be it then!

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Ultimaker2Marlin/commit/d85409f22204c606a331f49a83d31745b3d961ba

Posted · the third fan

Ah!  This must be it then!

@gr5 - you are very beady-eyed... :)

I think it's worth to put this under a microscope...

Posted · the third fan

normally this would make me go into full speculation mode.... but I better shut up as I had a UM tour last week and signed an NDA :(