Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
blawson

Cura 15.06 - Lay Flat command?

I can't find the Lay Flat command which was one of the model rotation tools available in earlier versions of Cura.

This is kind of indispensable for me when I'm printing parts with curvy surfaces or from oddball coordinate systems, in fact my standard CSYS from our CAD software is rotated 90d.

Am I missing where this was moved to, or was this quite useful feature dropped from the program?

-B

It was dropped for the moment as its implementation was horrible. If your standard frame is rotated by 90 degrees it's probably better not to use the lay flat in the first place but to simply rotate the object by the required amount.

It was dropped for the moment as its implementation was horrible. If your standard frame is rotated by 90 degrees it's probably better not to use the lay flat in the first place but to simply rotate the object by the required amount.

I've figured how I can specify a CSYS to export from, but with some complex parts it's easier to reorient in Cura and see how it changes the slicing. It's a tool I used a lot, and am looking forward to getting it back.

Thanks.

"For the moment."

It doesn't matter if the implementation is horrible, because a horrible implementation is better than no implementation at all.

When I have an object whose flattest side is 14.7 degrees off from a major axis, then no other way lets me actually print it without some side/slice of it being bent or striated. The "shift rotate" only allows single-degree rotations, which is not enough to make even a one inch object lay flat within the margin of one layer.

It doesn't matter if the implementation is horrible, because a horrible implementation is better than no implementation at all.

UM fixed that by providing a stable version of Cura from before all the weird anomalies. So now the Latest Version is 15.04.5, and it has the Lay Flat feature, which works great for me:

https://ultimaker.com/en/products/cura-software