Just bought my first rolls of ColorFabb PHA/PLA

LePaul

Posted · Just bought my first rolls of ColorFabb PHA/PLA

I've been meaning to buy some for a while and finally got around to doing so.

Asides the instructions and suggestions on ColorFabb's website, any tips I should heed on using this filament? I have an Ultimaker Original , no heated bed.

I couldn't resist trying out the Dutch Orange and Shining Silver 2.85 filaments.

Youll be fine mate, slap a bit of glue on the glass and off you go. Have been using nothing but colorfabb for the last year. Not sure about the heated bed as i got a um 2

I've never tried 0.06

Usually 0.10 and 40 and with Ultimaker PLA blue, 210C seems to be the right temp.

Youll be fine. You may get splitting issues if you print too low. But 210 should be fine. Have a play. Great quality prints with good details.

Posted (edited) · Just bought my first rolls of ColorFabb PHA/PLA

Im doing 215 um blue with 50 0.06 at the mo. Trying out the new pla to see if its as good as the old one. Had a horror of a time with my coupler though and am only getting good results now.

Mind you i did 213 at 70 0.06 and it turned out fine. So im sure 213 is fine.

With colorfabb i find a little bit hotter is better than a little bit cooler.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Can't help with tips since I use 1.75mm but with Orange Dutch So far I had 3 spools with 1.72-1.70mm so I'm quite carefull with that color and always with the caliper at hand.

Thanks for the feedback gents!

I've been printing with ColorFabb for about a year (I have tried ~10 colors-love them all) on my UMO and it's great. Depending on the color I'm printing 190-200 at 0.2 layer and speed between 30-50mm/s

If you want to go faster maybe increase that temp to 210.

So a lot cooler that normal PLA. I use a basic temp test print with each new color I get which helps me decide what temp to print at. which reminds me I should post that somewhere.

• Like 1

Doing a print now....the famous elephant one.   The Dutch Orange is a wonderful color.   Doing 210C, 50mm/s. 0.2 (pretty much default settings) and so far its flowing very smoothly.

Edited by Guest

On the Left, at 0.10 , 210C 50mm, no support or raft.

On the Right at 0.20, 210C 50mm support and raft (and I was too lazy to clean up)

I noticed if I started the print colder it didn't flow well, so 210 worked well all around. I did bring it down to 208 a couple minutes into the print.

Overall it looks ok...but curious on how to tweak and improve :)

IMG_9290.thumb.JPG.78c13c9ffad924c888603bbfec211aab.JPG

IMG_9290.thumb.JPG.78c13c9ffad924c888603bbfec211aab.JPG

Agreed, I always start colorfabb hotter and bring it down, it works well, i start at 215-220 for the first few layers and go to 208 or whatever after. If you print too cool, it tends to crack, mind you i have not tried with orange but colorfabb black and red both cracked at too cool temps for me.

Edited by Guest

I just ordered more...black and white, so I can start printing the pieces for the Star Wars 7 blaster rifle :)

I completely see your point about starting warmer.

I may need to replace the blue tape for the next print.

Depending on how fast you're printing I would go even lower, to get the turck strigning to go away.

My "high quality settings" are:

0.1 layer

1.2 shells

30mm/s

190-200 degrees (depending on the color I am using, I print my dutch orange at 190)

NOTE - in the winter I will print 1st layers anywhere from 210-220 and heat the bed to 27 (with blue tape)

general settings for colorfab

0.2 layer

0.8 shells

50mm/s

still using 190-200 degrees (depending on the color I am using)

• Like 1

@peetersm Thanks...good tips. Have you found the heated bed to be a big improvement over the Original without? I'm tempted to upgrade the bed...but it is money I could use for an Ultimaker 2 Extended

@peetersm  Have you found the heated bed to be a big improvement over the Original without?

I'm so so about the heated bed, I only use it in the winter and just to get it to room temp 25-27 C. I don't print on glass and pva glue and 70C , I still use blue tape. I tried using the heated bed on my M2 and got poor results a lot of edge curling (known issues with heated beds) , also when I am trying to print a lot of items I don't want to wait for cool down to remove items and start another job. I suppose the UM heated bed might be better than the M2 but I'm content to stick with what works really well for me.

But I do like the new lead screw and the metal bed, 3 point leveling system. If those are big selling points maybe it's worth it. But on my UMO I'm happy to use it as is.

I am very happy with the UMO+ It has the new cuircuit borad with no fan! which I love. I've had to replace and fuss with my UMO board fan too many times. Also I love the pt100 since I have issues on the UMO with the temp reading going crazy from fan PWM signal interfereing with the temp readings. Honestly I think the UMO+ is the best value, since the um2 family all need so much TLC, and for a lot more money. But if you need the dimensions of the extend I understand that choice.

The only thing I've been really wanting to do with my UMO+ is add a second hot end fan, or do a shroud since the one side fan can make lopsided prints.

Edited by Guest

I print Dutch orange a lot. On my printer 300 microns at 30 or 40mm/s 0.4mm nozzle is done with a temp of 205

Edited by Guest