UMO Extruder motor driver Channel doing nothing

adamp2006

Posted · UMO Extruder motor driver Channel doing nothing

I tweaked the driver motor on the extruder on my original Ultimaker because it was over heating and got it to almost a sweetspot. moved it down just a touch more then the extruder stopped working :(

Have tried :

• Changing over the drivers with another axis - nothing works in the extruder channel but that driver does work on other channel
  • Plugging the motor into another channel - the extruder motor works but any motor plugged into extruder position doesn't
  • visual inspection of the board - nothing seems to have blown and now dry joints or anything

Anyone got any suggestions, really could use getting it back up and running asap as have several projects on hold waiting for prints off of it.

Have tried the stepper driver in the x axis today and its fine, if i put the x axis driver in the extruder still nothing , so its not the driver (was my first assumption / thought too , know how easy it is to kill things) as i said tested the driver and the motor and they are all functioning perfectly on the other axis is just when plugged into the actual extruder section of the pcb.

Sorry, I didn't read your OP properly obviously... You don't happen to have a spare Arduino, do you?

You may try to put the stepper driver into the second extruder socket and change the routing in pins.h in Marlin.

Ok so tried changing the pins to 48,47,49 in marlin and uploaded it to my spare mega and still no joy (even worse now i definitely have one burnt out driver due to wrong direction) so i really don't know what it is, unless its a resistor or something that serves those 2 sets of connections only thats gone.

This sounds similar to the problem I've been having with my UMO+:

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/view/17229-umo-not-moving-extrusion-motor-also-problem-with-burnt-plastic-boogers

Does that sound like a similar problem to yours? So far I haven't found any solution, but maybe something similar happened to both of us to make the problem occur?

Your problem sounds very similar indeed, did some more experimenting last night , checked as many components as i could , including the caps under the drivers, even have the schematic sat on screen and there doesn't seem to be anything that just goes to the extruder ports and not the others aswell, really hope someone with a working knowledge of the electronics finds this soon, because otherwise i'm going to have to go down the route of a cheap chinese copy of the board due to real lack of funds, i really don't want to do that i'd rather fix this board if possible.

Anyone got any ideas at all about this issue ?

Yes.

The feeder will not turn unless the head is > 170C. You can enable "cold extrusions" with this gcode or you can heat the nozzle:

allow cold extrudes

M302

Just put that gcode in something and print it or send that through pronterface. Then the extruder will start turning.

Posted (edited) · UMO Extruder motor driver Channel doing nothing

Thanks gr5 will give that a go once i'm back next to the printer, guess that got added into the firmware while mine was in storage lol

*EDIT* gr5 you beautiful human being, thank you so much for that info :D , turns out that was indeed the issue, and there is nothing wrong with the extruder at all , many many thanks for saving me a lot of time and possibly money trying to get it working :)

Edited by Guest
    • Like 2

Yes.

The feeder will not turn unless the head is > 170C.  You can enable "cold extrusions" with this gcode or you can heat the nozzle:

allow cold extrudes

M302

Just put that gcode in something and print it or send that through pronterface.  Then the extruder will start turning.

gr5 you are indeed awesome! Same problem, same solution. Well done, Sir!