printing speed ?

s3eed361

Posted · printing speed ?

hi ,

i am printing a design . the wave vase . here : https://www.youmagine.com/designs/wave-vase

i am wondering , can i speed it up like , to 200 % ?

if i do that , will it be ok ? or do i need to something else too , to be ok ?

or i can't at all ?

still 19 hours left

i just make it to print 200% speed

do i need to stop it now ?

Well that depends. Yes, you can increase speed to 200%, or 1000% if you feel like it. The question is if the printer will be able to comply without the print failing. That all depends on what speed you set when you sliced the object. 10mm3/s (nozzle size*speed*layerheight = 0.4*X*Y) is pretty much the absolute maximum you can expect, on a sunny day with the wind in your back.

If you tell us the settings you used when you sliced the vase it will be easier for us to help you.

Well that depends. Yes, you can increase speed to 200%, or 1000% if you feel like it. The question is if the printer will be able to comply without the print failing. That all depends on what speed you set when you sliced the object. 10mm3/s (nozzle size*speed*layerheight = 0.4*X*Y) is pretty much the absolute maximum you can expect, on a sunny day with the wind in your back.

If you tell us the settings you used when you sliced the vase it will be easier for us to help you.

i didn't understand that :p

i am new at this , i just downloaded it and put it in cure then put it to the maximum quality then i save it to the sd card and print the design with it .

after 14 or 15 hours i thought that i can make it faster

then i post this .

till now it seems to be ok ( i guess :p )

The speed can be increased but the maximum you can increase it by depends on what settings were selected in cura.

If you use basic mode and select maximum setting then this doesn't actually help use give you a good answer. these basic settings are always changing with every software release.

Normally if you increase the speed by a large amount while printing, you also need to increase the temp a bit.

what IRobertI is saying is if you multiply your nozzle size (standard 0.4mm) times the print speed (shown under advanced mode) times the layer height (also under advanced mode) then this will tell you how much plastic you can put down per second. the maximum is normally around 10mm3/s. you can test this using this test if using UM2, there are others for other printers.( Please add your printer to your profile to help use sovle your issues.)

Never look at the time remaining in the printer when its printing unless you are printing a cube. Its is not an accurate form of estimating the lime remaining. Always use the time show in CURA as it is a more accurate estimate.

Posted (edited) · printing speed ?

What Robert is saying is that % is not a speed...

You need to sit down and look at what Cura actually does... So for starters, go to the "Expert" tab in the top of the Cura window, and press "switch to full settings"

You will now see a bunch of more details about you slice, stuff like temperature, speed, layer height etc. etc. You can find even more settings under "Expert - > Open Expert Settings"

When you say:

"I put it in cure (its Cura, btw) then put it to the maximum quality..." - Really what you have done, is just to select some default for all of these settings... That is, the default values that Ultimaker has decided are "Maximum quality".

Going back to your speed question... What you do when you increase the % you are talking about, is modifying the original speed value of your slice...

If that (for "Maximum quality") is say... 50 mm./s, then when you "increase speed to 150%", your speed will now be 75 mm./s...

Yes... It will decrease the total print time a little bit, but probably what you should have done instead, was to chose slightly higher layers when you did the slice...

Just please enable full settings, and do sit around for a while figuring out what Cura can actually do.... Getting the settings right (yes this definitely means tweaking, and not just choosing a default template), is by far the most critical part of the whole print process.

Edited by Guest