Reduce my x y travel

3DukeEngineering

Posted · Reduce my x y travel

Hey guys probably a bit of a noob question but I have installed a new head on my ultimaker 2 and wanted to know how to reduce the travel distance in the x and y directions to stop it from crashing into the front and sides.

Is this a setting that can be adjusted in cura, or is it within the printers firmware.

Sorry I wasn't to sure what to search for but would appreciate being pointed in the right direction cheers

IMG_3019.thumb.JPG.51b7217f42223ab932badec8c7bd10a8.JPG

IMG_3020.thumb.JPG.9980df7ae5537f5778563a68f665134b.JPG

IMG_3019.thumb.JPG.51b7217f42223ab932badec8c7bd10a8.JPG

IMG_3020.thumb.JPG.9980df7ae5537f5778563a68f665134b.JPG

The option is in

> Machine

>Add a new Machine

>Next

>Other

>Custom

Once there you can choose size configuration and other options.

limit switches are actually ok, they happen to be in the perfect position! I just had to tweak one of them with a slight bend in the switch.

Would I be right in assuming that even by defining the build volume in Cura, I would still encounter smashing when the printer is heating up or changing filament etc?

Hmm, that is a good question. you would honestly just have to try. I don't know how much intelligence is built into the firmware that comes with the cura software. I use simplify3D for the most part. I am curious to know what you find though.

tinkerGnome's version of marlin lets you set all those fixed positions - the position where you load filament, the position where it primes, and a few others.

It's in both but I'd just fix it in Cura.

Fixing it in Cura doesn't prevent head from banging into edges that are now outside the limit, it has to be done in firmware and then adjusted in Cura to reflect values in firmware.

You need to download Ultimaker 2 Marlin firmware:

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Ultimaker2Marlin

And then edit line 337 nowards in Configuration.h that starts with "Travel limits after homing":

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Ultimaker2Marlin/blob/master/Marlin/Configuration.h#L337