Support of complex models?

Darth_Biomech

Posted · Support of complex models?

Is there any tips and tricks to print some complex models, like this one, for example?

e36ce2f41012ad513ae08c8bf93e1781.png

I would prefer to print it as a single piece, but my expirience with Cura's default support structures shows that its completely DESTROYS surface that it is supporting and really works only on open flat surfaces, and only because they can be easily plastered and sanded afterwards.

I heard that Meshmixer works absolute wonders with its support generating... sadly, it refuses to work on my computer. =\

MeshMixer is really difficult to move an object around in. I found just getting the object level on the bed a real pain, not to mention the support materials and sizing.

As I said elsewhere, I really hope Cura keeps improving the support functions for complex prints.

Judging by the discussion on the relevant branch to github, there are several options to make this, and now the developers select the best for implementation. Let's wait for the build 15.10, there have planned something interesting.

You could try the new BETA cura, It has a lot of new support features.

I tried it, and it didn't liked my models X)

Hi ,

A few days a go i tried to print supports ,in one of my models ,in meshmixer and really that software create very useful supports ,u can configure density and other features but when i export to print un cura , The program (Cura) interprets these supports as if they were part of my modeling and can't detatch when the print finished.

I prefer print in parts and later stick with a combination of your waste plastics (of other prints) and acetone. For sharp edges i preffer use "grid" support in cura and if i print soft surfaces i use "lines" support and u can configure density supports too.

Sorry about my english , i try to explain.

The program (Cura) interprets these supports as if they were part of my modeling and can't detatch when the print finished.

I suppose you use dual-extrusion set then? Since when you print everything with same fillament, the Cura's regular supports just as much not-detachable. I need to use knife (pliers to break off large chunks, too) a lot to clean it off.

I use a UM2 and i have 1 extrusion. U can set the features of the supports and the distance between the support and modeling. Changing that you can clean easily.

And yes , sometimes it's hard to clean but you need to do the post-production of your print model.