Nothing from hot end

Maker26

Posted · Nothing from hot end

My Ultimaker2 will not lay down filament. Worked fine for first 6 months.

Had hot end issues. Replaced nozzle and temp sensor in the hot end.

I have tried the tension on the feeder in a variety of locations. Moves material.

Heated the nozzle above normal operating temp (PLA) Won't leave filament.

When I manually feed everything seems fine.

What am I missing?

Did you also replace the PTFE coupler when you changed the Nozzle and temp sensor?

Sort of. I have two Ultimakers both have had similar problems. So I've ordered new hot end bits for both. While I wait I'm using parts from both to try and get one working. So different PTFE Coupler but not new.

What about when you do "move material" from advanced menu?

Works fine

What about when you do the Atomic method?

guide here --> https://ultimaker.com/en/support/view/149-atomic-method

Have you only ever printed PLA, or have you printed other materials?

Make sure the bowden tube is pressed deep enough in the hot end isolator coupler, at least 1mm :)

Did you also replace the PTFE coupler when you changed the Nozzle and temp sensor?

Sort of. I have two Ultimakers both have had similar problems. So I've ordered new hot end bits for both. While I wait I'm using parts from both to try and get one working. So different PTFE Coupler but not new.

If this has any deformation where it touches the hot end then it could be your problem. While you wait for a spare you can carefully run a 3.2mm or even 1/8 drill down it to remove any tight spots. I did this once and it lasted a few extra months.

If this has any deformation where it touches the hot end then it could be your problem.

That's what I was getting at. :) Could also be that his Bowden tube isn't fully inserted so that it touches the coupler, and filament could be getting caught at that point and not even making it into the nozzle. But I think my money is on the PTFE coupler too with the amount of print time.

Another common issue this month seems to be filament breaking up into smaller pieces inside the bowden - is that happening to anyone here (filament getting brittle)? Because if so that would explain a lot (why it stops working but move material works fine).