changing filament during printing?

neone

Posted · changing filament during printing?

Hi all,

just wandering around this Q for a minute, what happens when the filament is out in the middle of a print?

Is there any way to pause printing, change filament and continue?

Yes this can be done.

Its in the tune menu. I think while paused you can select change material.

Not all printer firmware's have the option and i'm not at my printer to check.

If you have Roberts feeder then its very fast and simple.

You can even use the plugin and set Pause at height so you can change it while paused and do multi color prints.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just went to change filament mid print. When the print resumed, it was off by about 2mm - too high...

Has anyone had this happen?

Using Cura 15.02.01 ( not really ready to switch to the new steam engine yet)

Printers are running, so not sure which firmware, but it is the firmware that allows changing filament mid print.

Posted (edited) · changing filament during printing?

Just get some pliers and cut it off near the the feeder so you get a flat end near the bowden tube, and push up the new filament up against the end of the old one. don't worry if you miss a few retractions it wont matter at all I totally messed up loads and it got stuck a few times during the entering the bowden tube stage, its not that difficult but takes a bit of practice. I had constant retractions and it still worked first time. The pressure of the filament from before gives you a 30 sec odd window if you mess up so don't panic.

I would never pause the print. its asking for trouble. Irrespective whether it works or not. The chances of jam straight after are much higher if you are running a delicate setup.

Edited by Guest

Posted (edited) · changing filament during printing?

I usually just take a lighter and melt the two ends together... let cool and take a razor blade to clean the mushroom bulge off...

I was just curios as to why it would restart the print again much higher than when it left off... after all, a paused print goes back to its original location?

Edited by Guest