Underextrusion. Cura problem?

MarkHoe

Posted · Underextrusion. Cura problem?

Hi.

Im all new to this and i just bought my first 3dprinter, an UMO+.

Ive had it for about 3 weeks, but havent got a single good print yet, so i thought that the problem was my settings, my hardware or just me bieng plain stupid!

I handed my printer back to my retailer for some good advice, and the answer came back. Cura!

It might be that the "newer" versions of Cura have a problem with the slicer, that makes the printer underextrude.

The advice i got from my retailer was to go back to Cura 15.04 for best result.

What is your thoughts on this matter?

Regards.

It is definitely worth checking out version 15.04, the newer version is work in progress and in Beta, so results may vary.

To prepare Cura for the future we had to rebuild it entirely, but we have opened it up for Beta so everyone can get involved who wants to, and contribute to what the final form of Cura is going to be.

If you want to run a stable, reliable version to get more familiar with the hardware and the entire feel for 3D printing in general, I would recommend 15.04

There are no known extrusion problems with the new Cura. So blatantly advising people to go back to the lower version is a bit of a shotgun approach (The old Cura is more stable though).

Thanks.

Ive tried to go back using 15.04 instead of 15.04.02, but the settings followed (Windows dont always delete everything) so have the same problem with the slicer no matter what version i use.

Now i use Repeter Host and it Works fine so im sure that it is the software.

Formating my computer this weekend, and try Cura Again. Updating will follow.

• Like 1

The UMO+ has two versions as i can read.

The first version have the same mainboard and altso firmware as the UMO.

The second version, the one i have has same mainboard as UMO2 and altso same firmware.

It doesn't have exactly the same firmware as the umo2 (as the ulti controller of the umo+ is different from the um2)

It doesn't have exactly the same firmware as the umo2 (as the ulti controller of the umo+ is different from the um2)

Of course, it has some differences, but most of the hardware is the same.

Just in case, do not be confused, Cura and Repetier do different things - I use them too. Cura slices the model and creates to code to be run on the printer. Repetier, with its firmware, controls and operates the printer; to be honest I do not know if it parses the gcode and sends machine instructions to the printer or if it passes the gcode to the firmware.

In my experience Cura is unlikely to screw up your prints, it will be the settings that you input to Cura that will potentially cause problems - like trying to print a 10mm*10mm model at 120mm/s. Repetier is even less likely to cause problems. You do not give any details of your problems but bear in mind when using your printer for the first time, bed levelling, nozzle to bed distance, correct grip in your drive mechanism and clean feed of your filament to the printer are all vital setup configurations before you start. As is quality filament, i.e the expensive stuff so that you have a consistent filament width

In my experience Cura is unlikely to screw up your prints, it will be the settings that you input to Cura that will potentially cause problems - like trying to print a 10mm*10mm model at 120mm/s. Repetier is even less likely to cause problems. You do not give any details of your problems but bear in mind when using your printer for the first time, bed levelling, nozzle to bed distance, correct grip in your drive mechanism and clean feed of your filament to the printer are all vital setup configurations before you start. As is quality filament, i.e the expensive stuff so that you have a consistent filament width

I got the printer, and assembled it step by step, nice and easy. i took my time because i really wanted to learn as much as possible about the printer and how everything Works.

then it keept underekstruding because the ekstrudermotor just keept "clicking" instead of running.

I did all that i could and had evry single ajustment in Cura under inspection, nothing happened.

I did not expect the software to make the mistakes, so i brought the printer to the shop, and they "fixed" it, believing that my filament ajustment was too tight.

I got the printer home, same problem.

Brought it back to the shop and they analysed evrything, and nothing seemed to be wrong with the assembly, hardware or firmware.

The guy in the shop said that it was only my files that made the problem. it worked fine when they printed items from their computers.

When i brought my printer to the shop, the NeXT days they keept getting new printers with the same problem, underekstrusion and a feedermotor that just keept "clicking".

the only thing we all had in common was Cura 15.04.02 or later.

Thats why i can only believe that the slicer in Cura makes some trouble with the feedermotor.

Now i have absolutely no problems printing wery nice stuff with Repeter Host. Im kinda tech freek, so the ekstra settings in Repeter suits me fine.

And altso. i dont use the cheap filament stuff. in my opinion, if you dont have the Money to spend on something, its not worth it. so why settle just to save a few bucks...

Thanks, that is a really good description of what happened. What software is slicing the model? - as I said Repetier is not a slicer. Are you pressing a button in Repetier to call an external slicer? which one? Or are you loading gcode into Repetier (if so what produced the gcode?).

Did you load the Reptier firmware? (I have no idea if Repetier works with other firmware); maybe there was a problem with the firmware? It is strange - I have only ever seen the "clicking" as being the symptom of a drive mechanism hardware fault, or poor filament or a blockage in the filament path.

Intriguing post about the version and print trouble.

The Guys in the shop tested all the hardware and firmware, and found that everything was in order.

and with the problem only bieng generated when i sliced with Cura, they found that to be the most likely problem.

Repeter has a few different slicers already loaded into the programme, and here i use Cura as slicer. that is the most precise. atleast so ive heard.

No problem with using Cura as slicer in Repeter. But there is a chance that it might be my computer that fuckes Things up.

I just happened to fry my computers processor last night, so i bought a new and i will try Cura Again on this one just to make sure that it Works.

Thx, that really helped.. ;)

Ha...well I found that to be interesting as I have had some trouble with pillowing and underextrusion on my prints recently. I've been faulting the material as of late and not having the right settings. But it couldn't hurt to either try a previous release or even the Beta.

I did load up the new version of Repetier but did not like it so I went back to the previous version which does not have the function to load Cura. So I cannot be sure but assuming the Cura version you use externally is the same version that you use from inside Repetier, then I think you are using the same .exe file so to get a difference does not make a lot of sense.

As I said before, if you are using Repetier firmware with RepetierHost then that could explain it - I always have done so I cannot make a comparison to check for you.

Ha...well I found that to be interesting as I have had some trouble with pillowing and underextrusion on my prints recently.  I've been faulting the material as of late and not having the right settings.  But it couldn't hurt to either try a previous release or even the Beta.

In my case the ekstruder just dont turn, like its stuck.

But it works with Repetier, try it out.

Just got my new computer, so by tomorrow i can give som feedback about it bieng my computer making the flaws.

I really hope that you get your print-setting right, because i really know how its like to have a printer malfunctioning.

I did load up the new version of Repetier but did not like it so I went back to the previous version which does not have the function to load Cura. So I cannot be sure but assuming the Cura version you use externally is the same version that you use from inside Repetier, then I think you are using the same .exe file so to get a difference does not make a lot of sense.

As I said before, if you are using Repetier firmware with RepetierHost then that could explain it - I always have done so I cannot make a comparison to check for you.

Im currently just using standart firmware for the printer.

I want to get the Marlin firmware, but i have to read up on it before making some changes that i cannot understand.

Try to post an image of the problem. Also make a photo of the hotend to see if you have any visible filament leak. A printed cube should do the trick. Also post the settings + material used.

I no longer have the problem. because i use Repetier. The problem is only when i use Cura.

The problem is that the feedermotor just keeps making "clicks" - like i want to run, but is stalled.

With the exact same settings, filament and everything, repetier makes great prints, so i know that it is a problem that is generated when Cura slices the model.

I will try on my new computer this afternoon, and then post is same problem is present.